Worried About Stand

Dec 8, 2012
I am getting back into the fish tank department, had some persons scare me and now I am worried. I have a 25 tall Freshwater tank, I am using a stand that had a previous 56 Gallon tank on it. I have heard back and forth about wood cabinet stands and metal. My real concern is that the 56 gal tank was on all four edges and not this tank is centered and all but not edge to edge will the wood give out the tank is stable no swaying unless really pushed. I need advice. IMG_5062.jpg IMG_5063.jpg IMG_5064.jpg IMG_5065.jpg

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I also do not think that you will have a problem. There are two things I would check out. Is the top board made of plywood or soem sort of fiber board. If plywood there should not be any issue. If fiberboard or press board then this type of material may not hold up when wet for long times.
The other thing is how supports are placed under the top board. If there is some support directly under the tank itself then the material of the top board should not matter. If the support happens to be on the outside edges where the larger tank would have fit, then the make up of the top board might make more of a difference.
The simple fix for either of my imagines concerns would be to place a sheet of 3/4 inch marine plywood cut to the dimensions of the top of the stand and under the tank. Maybe not so simple as the tank will have to be emptied and re set up to do so.
The stand is meant for a heavier tank so it's overall strength is not a question. That it held up with the full tank is perhaps the best sign.
good luck

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Hello; I also do not think that you will have a problem. There are two things I would check out. Is the top board made of plywood or soem sort of fiber board. If plywood there should not be any issue. If fiberboard or press board then this type of material may not hold up when wet for long times.
The other thing is how supports are placed under the top board. If there is some support directly under the tank itself then the material of the top board should not matter. If the support happens to be on the outside edges where the larger tank would have fit, then the make up of the top board might make more of a difference.
The simple fix for either of my imagines concerns would be to place a sheet of 3/4 inch marine plywood cut to the dimensions of the top of the stand and under the tank. Maybe not so simple as the tank will have to be emptied and re set up to do so.
The stand is meant for a heavier tank so it's overall strength is not a question. That it held up with the full tank is perhaps the best sign.
good luck
If its any type of particle board I would replace it/cover it if its not well supported toward the middle. I had an old 29G stand and I put a 10G in the middle of it and its started to bow down in the middle about 1/16" after a few weeks. The top of this was particle wood. I got a piece of high grade 3/4 plywood that I cut to fit over the top then stained it so it would be protected from water.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
good luck
If its any type of particle board I would replace it/cover it if its not well supported toward the middle. I had an old 29G stand and I put a 10G in the middle of it and its started to bow down in the middle about 1/16" after a few weeks. The top of this was particle wood. I got a piece of high grade 3/4 plywood that I cut to fit over the top then stained it so it would be protected from water.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
JMO, but it looks like that aquarium comes close enough to the vertical supports of the cabinet that I would not think there would be any problem with bowing. I would be more concerned if the top was planks instead of one solid piece.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i only have one real stand for all my tanks. my 20 gallon and i put a piece of plywood under it. the stand onlt held the tank at the edges and i did not like that. then i made a 2X4 and plywood stand for one of my 30 gallons, then i use an oak desk for ym other 30 gallon. and then my 55, lol. it is sitting on an old consol radio. under the tank and under the lid is an am/fm radio, 8 track player, and turn table. off of which still work i belive lol. i'm one of those people who like to use anything i have aroud before i go buy things. but from what i hear about your stand. i would ot have any concerns.