Im Back .........and the 75 gallon journey begins!

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Been almost a year, since i was active here. Things in my life changed for the better and i bought my first house and moved in June 1st of last year. So while i have been attending to my tanks, i really haven't been active on this site. Now that things have settled down..........I'm BACK!!!!

Prior to me getting the house i had found some great deals on tanks and other equipment and i do mean great deals, like a fluval Fx5 for 75 bucks on craigslist.

Since I'm no longer having to deal with issues of apartment living i can focus on making my tanks the way i really want to, meaning diy stands/canopy's/and BIGGER BIGGER BIGGER tanks. lol

and here we go...........

The stand... Framed out so far

The canopy... Framed out so far

The tank itself.....ITS SO BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and all the fun toys I get to play with. I originally bought them when i bought the house. Then once things settled down, i thought, hmmmm i have all the tools lets do a diy tank and stand. WOOHOOO!

I haven't even planned out whats gonna go inside of the tank yet, once i get the stand/canopy finished and the tank setup ill move on from there.

more photos to come...................

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
The Canopy is finished, just needs to be sanded and stained. I'm debating on putting some trim on, but ill wait till I get the stand completed to make that decision.

Quick question. WHY OH WHY did i decide to do this in the summer months, It's so darn hot, i think i've lost 10 lbs just from sweating so much UGHHH![/QUOTE]

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
After a little thinking, i decided to rip the top off and change the design, the top i HAD on there was made from 1/2" Mdf, and since this IS a Aquarium stand, I'm thinking its bound to get wet, even from incidental accidents, mdf isn't going to be the best choice, plus i also changed the design in the matter that i think i want a 1-2 inch overhang on all sides except the back. So back to the store for more Poplar wood boards UGHH!

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
so the hood and stand have now been completed (well except for the doors) I'm currently sanding, sanding, and um sanding the stand now. Then the Staining process begins, Unfortunatly while using a router to trim the top, i slipped on the going around the corners. I guess that's probably why i don't do this for a living lol. just really really sucks =(

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
well the stand and hood have been sanded and stained, i think it turned out great, considering its the first thing i have built since High school some 20+ years ago. lol

next is the doors and hardware and to poly the stand and hood.

Stand Top, too bad that most of this will be hidden by the tank itself, i think it looks beautiful!

the Stand.

The hood, i plan to do some decorative trim on the front face, as it is now, it just seems to plain for me.

so what do you guys/gals think, comments or suggestions very very welcomed!

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
well pretty slow progress lately, just staining, sanding, then polyurethane, then more sanding and then more polyurethane, not to mention all the dry time and re-sanding over and over lol.

I did however start on the doors.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
well she is finished. I have my 55 gallon on the stand now, as i wait and to gather all of the things needed to set up my 75 gallon.

some mistakes were made along the way, (a learning experience that i will use when doing a stand for my 125 gallon tank) but all in all im pleased with the stand. so much sturdier, much more storage, and looks much much better than those pine ones in the LFS (btw why does every Craigslist ad always list those stands as oak LOL).