stocking a brackish tank!!

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
So I have finished acclimating my 4 bumble bee gobies to bracksih and im ready to stock with other fish. i have a 35 tall with plenty of fake plants/tank ornaments for the gobies to hide in and/or, claim territory over. I was looking to have a figure 8 puffer and hopefully at least one yellow chromide. any ideas?

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
I'm not too knowledgeable about bw tanks, but have recently fallen in love with monos (? Am I remembering that name correctly?). They are closer in color and shape to sw angels, which I totally adore. I'm not sure how big they get tho, nor do I know much about their behavior...

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
no monos get too big and i think need full sw as adults. i was thinking maybe a couple chromides, and ive heard mollies can be successful, but can also be a terrible mistake. but they also clean algae, which i need. i have nerite snails but i doubt they'll last long with the puffer.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Depending on the personality of your puffer the snails may last longer.....but I wouldn't count on it. Although my dwarf puffers left my nerite snails alone....but the snails were like twice there size.
I would be very careful about tank mates if you get a puffer, bottom dwellers are really a big issue for most puffers but might have some issues with fish that live in the small area in the water column (they can be fin nippers).I would do some reading on figure eight puffers. You might be interested stocking your tank with two figure 8's and your gobies only.

Edit:
I was reading the link I gave you and the author stated they kept mollies with figure eight's. They also kept the babies in control.....lunch!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
yeah i saw that link before, which made me intrigued by mollies because they eat algae. however, since ive already done most of my research, i know that the safeness and health of any fish i put into the tank depends on the personality of the puffer. but if i get enough fish to displace his agression, he might not bully only one fish.

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
yeah, it would add nice color. last night i had a revelation. 3 mollies AND a chromide with the puffer and gobies.

However, i would love to have a reef setup but i have neither the time nor the resources to do so. maybe when i leave for college my pops will start one that i can enjoy on breaks.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
With the algae turf scrubber installed on my SW tanks they are less maintenance then my FW. I am working on a FW scrubber build this weekend for my 150G to help ease the water changes. The scrubbers renew the water so all I do on my SW is top off for evaporation, its just wonderful!!!!! The nitrates never get over 5PPM since I started using the algae turf scrubbers.
Two chromide would look great to! Either way it will be stunning.

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
cool. went to the LFS yesterday and copped a chromide and a puffer. i decided against the mollies because the only ones they had were huge. i used the drip method to acclimate them and they were in the tank by 9. fed them today some brine shrimp and every fish got its fair share it seemed. i took some pictures and they will be uploaded on a new thread. as the LFS gets more chromides i might grab a couple more to try and give it some friends. the puffer didnt even look at the gobies, in fact, it was the chromide who was giving them a hard time. i have started a snail farm in my mudskipper tank and hope to see some eggs by the end of today. thanks for everybodys help!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Last edited:

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
yeah i saw that link before, which made me intrigued by mollies because they eat algae. however, since ive already done most of my research, i know that the safeness and health of any fish i put into the tank depends on the personality of the puffer. but if i get enough fish to displace his agression, he might not bully only one fish.
Research is always good and I'm glad that you have done lots. Puffers are a very rewarding fish. I just want to add though that adding to many fish to displace the aggression might possibly (might not) stress out the puffer. So watch for signs of stress as you would watch for signs of too much aggression. I'm sure you already know all of this as you seem well researched!! Best of Luck!!

I think either setup would be very cool. Don't forget to post some pictures when you get the setup going! I love pictures!!

Sep 5, 2011
New Jersey
I've decided not to go to with the molly route as they get too large and just wouldnt be worth the risk. my plan would be to get another chromide or 2 as the one i have just swims with its reflection. plus, between the 6 fish, they dont get even close to all the food that one frozen brine shrimp provides. i dont think i'll get any other gobies, the four seem fine.

I have taken photos and they will be posted shortly.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
plus, between the 6 fish, they dont get even close to all the food that one frozen brine shrimp provides. i dont think i'll get any other gobies, the four seem fine.

I have taken photos and they will be posted shortly.
Be sure you are feeding them something besides the frozen brine shrimp as most of those frozen foods do not have hardly any nutritional value (look at the nutrition guide on the package). Its better to get some shrimp from your local Meat/seafood shop by the 1/2 to 1 pound. You can freeze it until you need it. Just take out the frozen chunk of shrimp and get a piece or two out. They thaw very fast in a little bit of water. Once thawed peel the shell then chop with a palm dicer or blender. Makes a very healthy fresh fish food. You can even just cut it into bit size pieces to.

Feb 27, 2009
+1 KcMopar

For my meat eaters, I mix up several 'meats' in a small food processor (raw: fish, liver, shrimp, earthworms, meal worms, etc.) and then use an ice cube tray that makes small cubes to freeze individual portions. Once they are frozen solid, I transfer the 'meat cubes' into a plastic freezer bag (Ziplocktype). At feeding time, I just plop a cube or two into a small amount of water to thaw it and then watch the feeding frenzy!

BTW - The small food processor and ice cube trays are not used for anything else! EWWW~~~!!!