Fantail lying down in corner?

Aug 3, 2011
So I have a ten gallon tank that recently finished cycling. There was a feeder goldfish (comet tail I think?) that survived the cycling that is a little more than an inch long. I decided to add a couple more fish, a Golden Dojo about 3 inches long, and a fantail about the same length. I understand that they will get bigger, and I will upgrade eventually.

However, all of today, the fantail has been laying down in the corner. I know that it is alive, and the other fish have been fine. When I checked the water, there were no nitrites and a very small amount of Nitrates (>20ppm, the first landmark on my testing strips). What's wrong and what should I do?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I would recommend getting the drop type test kit as its much more precise and easier to match the colors. The strips are kind of vague in my opinion. Are you doing weekly water changes or even twice a week changes as Gold fish are very dirty so the water requires a lot of maintenance. If you are keeping up on the water its hard to say what might be wrong with your fish. Have you inspected him for any visual abnormalities?

Aug 3, 2011
I have been doing weekly water changes, but the fantail has only been in the tank for about three days now, and as far as I can tell there are no visual abnormalities.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Your water could have been different from the fish store so he may take a bit to adjust. Also when you do changes are you matching the temp as close as possible and treating your water if connected to city water. Its hard to say what it could be, check the pH before the water change and the pH of the water you are going to add, is it more then 0.4 different? He might just take some time to come around. If he is eating He will most likely be OK. Keep an eye on him for changes is about all you can do. We hope the best for your little pet.

Feb 27, 2009
However, all of today, the fantail has been laying down in the corner. I know that it is alive, and the other fish have been fine. When I checked the water, there were no nitrites and a very small amount of Nitrates (>20ppm, the first landmark on my testing strips).
What is your reading of ammonia? I suspect ammonia poisoning. Fantail goldfish are more prone to poor water quality.

What's wrong and what should I do?
Daily 50% water changes is what I would recommend, until you can get the correct sized tanks. If the 'comet tail' goldfish is a comet, you will need a pond for him.

Aug 3, 2011
The ammonia was at 0g/ml. I have been trying to do water changes everyday. Unfortunately, the fish in laying on her side in the bottom. She is still breathing, but I don't think she will be for much longer. Her scales have also lost color. What was wrong?

Aug 3, 2011
So I was mislead...The "Fantail" was actually a Black Moore. And the units on the ammonia test were mg/l, on a tetra brand ammonia test. I think the issue may have been pH...I don't have the means to find the exact pH, but I know that it is at least 7.6. Thoughts?

Feb 27, 2009
Goldfish like alkaline water, 7.6 is fine for them.

I would check your readings at a reliable fish store. With 2 goldfish plus the loach in only 10 gallons of water, it would be hard to have a zero reading of ammonia.

Aug 3, 2011
To anyone who cares, I called the LFS that I bought the fish from and it turned out that the tank the Black Moore was in was sick. They tested my water to be sure, and said the water is in good shape.

Also, the remaining fish are tiny, and there are several plants in my tank. The tank is cycled well enough to handle two very small fish. I was also informed that the fish I have should be able to live happily in that tank for another 3 to 5 years before they are big enough to have problems.

Feb 27, 2009
it turned out that the tank the Black Moore was in was sick. They tested my water to be sure, and said the water is in good shape.
What was the tank 'sick' from? How did they test your water to know it was not 'sick' also?

I was also informed that the fish I have should be able to live happily in that tank for another 3 to 5 years before they are big enough to have problems.
I respectfully disagree with your pet store's evaluation that two goldies and a dojo loach will be ok in only 10 gallons of water for 3-5 years. Most will say you need at least 20 gallons for one goldfish, 10 more for a 2nd one. Dojo loaches need 20-30 gallons. You may want to do more research on those fish regarding tank size and the effects of keeping them in such a small tank (stunting).

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
That black moor will be full grown way before 3 years!!! Thats just bad advice IMO. My feeder comets grew to 8 inches in less then a year. Your other small fish will be OK but the goldfish are large fish and will grow to a few inches very soon. I only give this info because you have months not years before you need to prepare for a larger tank for the goldfish. I have three of those feeder comets and they take up all of a 125 gallon tank just after a years time.