Goldie Haven 2011

Fizgig777

Large Fish
Nov 7, 2003
NYC
www.goldfishparadise.com
Hi all.... It's been a while since I was last here.... Been doing a LOT of traveling. Home for a year or so now, so I thought I'd update you all on Goldie Haven. The tank still sits in my living room =) These were taken last week...

Overview

Plant Life -- all live:

Fish:
** Jinji ** -- Comet rescued from feeder tank... 10 cent fish ;)

** Pepper ** -- Blue Shubunkin; technically a calico in black, white, & blue

** Hershey ** -- chocolate Ryukin

Stock List:
1 Comet Goldie, 1 Shubunkin Goldie, 1 Chocolate Ryukin Goldie, 9 White Cloud Mt. Minnows {3 regular & 6 gold}, Olive Nerite & Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

4 Amazon Swords, 1 Red Rubin Sword, Various Anubias species, Ludwigia.

Lighting:
2 watts/US gallon, fluorescent 6700K, 11hrs. a day.

Moonlighting is LED from above, underwater... Strip contains 6 blue elements and is on 3.5hrs. at night.

Various amts. of indirect sunlight hit this tank as well. Intensity and longevity vary with the seasons, etc.

Filtration:
External mechanical with some biological @ 350 GPH.
Internal biological @ 200 GPH.
Live plants!
Lava Rocks.

Substrate:
Fluorite with river rock over the top. Also various natural lava & rainbow rocks throughout aquarium.

Tank Temp.:
72˙F minimum in winter - 80˙F max. in summer . Heater is installed.

Aquarium Dimensions & Stuff:
Custom built bullet proof, tempered glass. 3'W x 3'D x 5'T. Glass covered.

***Note that these photos are not post-water change shots. The last water change was performed 4wks. prior.

Questions & comments welcomed!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Amazing!! I'm getting a 20 gallon and I was thinking about putting a Pearlscale in it. Is this a good idea?? Also, could you give me some advice, one your personal experience of course, on what it's like to care and keep goldfish (and possibly include some tips??)??

Fizgig777

Large Fish
Nov 7, 2003
NYC
www.goldfishparadise.com
Thank you both! Appreciate the comments!

Amazing!! I'm getting a 20 gallon and I was thinking about putting a Pearlscale in it. Is this a good idea?? Also, could you give me some advice, one your personal experience of course, on what it's like to care and keep goldfish (and possibly include some tips??)??
Good luck with the Pearlscale. I can't really give you advice regarding that particular type of Goldie as it's not my thing -- don't own/never owned the exotic varieties myself b/c I'm not a fan of them. I'd recommend you check out thegab.org. The site is specifically geared toward Goldfish in all aspects -- care, diet, disease, etc. Sorry I can't give you more advice myself... I didn't want to waste your time with generic info. that might end up being wrong for your particular plans.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Pearlscales get to be around 8" and they don't tend to eat certain plants (all the plants that I have are the ones they won't eat, lol!!). Here's a picture of one that I would be getting.

I think that Pearlscales are beautiful and that keeping goldfish in a bowl is wrong. Plus, the goldfish that are usually kept in a bowl are common or comet goldfish, which reach a total of 2' if given the room. Fancy Goldfish only need 10 gallons, but I figured I could get a Pearlscale and a Black Moor and put them in a 20 gallon. Black Moors can get up to 10", but I'd still have only 18" in my tank. Plus, at the temperature I will keep them at, they grow slowly and can live a long time.

Very Beautiful Goldfish!!!

Last edited:

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
kiara, I am fully aware goldfish should not be kept in such cruel conditions. I know it, I've experienced it (my friends mom has goldies :( ) I meant that people should see nice setups before dumping their pets into a cup.

The first goldfish should have 20 gallons and each additional goldie needs 10. So, to have 2 goldfish you'd need a 30 gallon aquarium. I see you're using the old inch-per-gallon rule. That doesn't apply to large, messy fish (coughcoughGOLDFISHcoughcough) If it did, it would imply that you could keep a 14-inch tiger oscar in a 14 gallon tank. See what I mean? Check out AqAdvisor.com, it is a wonderful stocking tool. It still has its flaws though, so be sure to do your research.

Gorgeous goldfish!!

webgeek

Small Fish
Feb 9, 2011
Nice tank!! I love all ur pics. Particularly the live plants. I think the black stout fish in last picture is actually a black moor. I have three black moor in my office tank. I amn't a big fan of them because they are often dull and won't breed. Their also demand a good and clean environment despite all my best efforts. I prefer standard gold fish over moor. But i can't deny goldies are a beauty.

Cole

Small Fish
Mar 9, 2011
Iowa
Very nicely done. I like the live plants and as mentioned above it's refreshing to see goldfish done without a bowl. Nice arrangement of decor.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
We're not hijacking, we're commenting. Sometimes, one post can lead to a whole other conversation. Just enjoy it, besides, how are we being rude?? No harm was meant, really.

paperdog9

Large Fish
Dec 11, 2009
Your Imagination
Dimensions given as 3foot by 3foot by 5foot. Converting it to inches is 36 x 36 x 60, which is 77760 cubic inches / 231 cubic inches per gallon would be approximately 336 gallons.
Ya, definately not overstocked haha. I would kill to have a tank like that. Well... maybe not kill, but I'd give up a lot of things! It looks great, and your right, it is a glodfish heaven!

Fizgig777

Large Fish
Nov 7, 2003
NYC
www.goldfishparadise.com
Thanks folks... Sorry for not responding, I've been sick.

While I'm glad someone else got help for their fish questions, it was kinda rude to completely change the topic of convo. to that and also include pics. in MY thread which had nothing to do with MY aquarium. That's the part that was rude, not the answering of questions. Coulda started a new thread to deal with those things after all ;)

Not upset and no one should be told to just sit back and enjoy it when their thread is taken over for something other than what they wanted to discuss. It's not nice ;)

Anyway, appreciate those who chose to comment on the original topic =)

Yes, this aquarium is pretty big -- hence the use of heavy duty glass to protect it in the high traffic area.