6 gallon nano freshwater ideas.....

ShivaHaze

Small Fish
May 13, 2005
www.brockenmoor.com
I found a cheap six gallon eclipse system on EBAY for the kitchen. Great fun-shui, need to get the chi grooving in my apartment. The bio-wheel system really attracted me because I had one on my ten gallon when I was a kid. I am going to convert this tank into a planted nano-freshwater aquarium. I am using several anubias nana as a foreground plant and a java moss covered piece of driftwood in the centre. I need your suggestions for some other hardy and simple to grow plants in this tiny tank. My fish ideas are a pair of black kuhli loaches and 5 neon tetras or perhaps rasboras. *thumbsups

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
really? you've been able to grow Amazon Swords in a small tank? I thought they needed tons of light to prosper. At least thats what the LFS guy told me.

I know from experience Banana plants do well in low-med light conditions. I had one for like a year and it was growing all over the place. Oh and Anubias Nana are great hardy plants that will tolerate low light conditions. which is good cause the Eclipse systems dont have that much light really..

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
You have a great selection for a nano-planted tank ... one of my fave themes. Below is a list of low-light plants. As you can see, you have quite a selection ... from www.AquariumPlants.com... but I don't think this is near inclusive of what you can choose from. You might also check out www.tropica.com. I like your selection of fish .... will be a very attractive tank. Would like to see pics if possible when you get it set up.

AQUARIUM PLANTS: Low Light Plants
Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri) Pot (medium size 8"-9") LL023 Yes $2.99
Anubias Afzelii ll608 Yes $4.99
Anubias barteri v angustifolia LL621 Yes $4.99
Aponogeton Natans (Aponogeton natans) LL006 Yes $4.99
Aponogeton crispus LL007 Yes $6.99
Balansae (Cryptocoryne crispatula)(medium size 5"-6") LL013 Yes $1.99
Barteri Round Leaf (Anubias barteri v. ‘Round Leaf’)(medium size)(also available in pots: see "Potted Plants" LL001 Yes $3.99
Bolbitus (Bolbitus heudelotii)(medium size 6"-7", 3-4 stems) LL018 Yes $4.99
Caladiifolia (Anubias barteri v Caladiifolia)6"-7")(rare...just came in from West Africa!) ll614 Yes $4.99
Coffeefolia (Anubias barteri v. ‘Coffeefolia’)(medium size)(also available in "pots" LL002 Yes $3.99
Congensis (Anubias ‘Congensis’)(medium size)(also available in "pots" LL003 Yes $3.99
Congensis (Anubias ‘Congensis’)(medium size)(potted) po198 Yes $4.99
Contortion Vals (Vallisneria asiatica)(medium size 9"-13")(sold in groups of 10) LL022 Yes $5.90
Giant Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii) (pot) 000947 Yes $6.99
Gigantea (Anubias gigantea)(medium size) LL004 Yes $4.99
Gracilis (Anubias gracilis)(7"-8")(RARE, just came in from West Africa!) LL624 Yes $4.99
Green Temple (Hygrophilia corymbosa)(LARGE 8"-10" bunch 6-8 stems) LL011 Yes $1.59
Green Temple Narrow (Hygro Corombosa)(LARGE 8"-10" bunch 6-8 stems) LL012 Yes $1.69
Hastifolia (Anubias hastifolia)(8"-10")rare...just came in from West Africa!) ll610 Yes $4.99
Hygrophilia Polysperma (LARGE 8"-10" bunch 6-8 stems) LL009 Yes $1.29
Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)(medium size 6"-7", 3-4 stems) LL016 Yes $2.99
Java Fern, Lace (Microsorium pteropus v. ‘'Windelov') LL017 Yes $3.49
Lanceolota (Anubias lanceolota)(9"-11")(rare...just came in from West Africa!) ll605 Yes $4.99
Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’) (medium size)(also available in "pots") LL005 Yes $3.99
Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus ‘Ozelot’) (Pot) (medium size 5"-6") LL020 Yes $2.99
Rigidifolius (Aponogeton rigidifolius) (OUT OF STOCK) LL008 No $6.99
Subulata, Dwarf (Sagittaria subulata)(medium size 6"-8") 10 Plants LL021 Yes $4.90
Tiger Lotus, Green (Nymphaea zenkeri) LL721 Yes $3.99
Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri) LL724 Yes $3.99
Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii) LL014 Yes $1.99
Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)(medium size 5"-6") LL015 Yes $1.99

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
huh? according to that price list..amazon swords are low light plants...I guess the guy at the fish store was wrong? Or maybe they tolerate low light but will not grow as big under those conditions?

I've never had any luck growing amazon swords..

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Keep in mind that swords are notorious root feeders. So a plant tab at the base of the sword will keep them happy and growing. Since the E-6 is not very deep, the lighting intensity will be increased at the substrate level. Swords will also grow slower in low-light conditions, but with the extra fert at root level you will get good growth.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think harlequin rasboras would look great in the tank :) I agree, sounds like a cool setup would love to see pictures when you put it together. Sorry, I'm no help on the plants.

supapoopa

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Grymatta said:
really? you've been able to grow Amazon Swords in a small tank?
Yup, they are doing great as a backdrop plant in my tank. You can check the link in my sig if your still skeptical. I'm guessing the reason its not taking over the tank has to do with the way the lighting cuts off 3/4 of the way up the tank for the back area. So far I've never had a leaf break the surface of the water. Although it took them a good 2 months to properly settle into the tank and start growing well because of the low lighting and no root fertilization.