Which Cichlids are easy to take care of?

I was wondering which cichlids are easy to take care of . I really like Severums. I was wondering if I were to ever have a cichlid community tank(the aggressive types). Which types could go well together?.Which size tank would be enough to hold a bunch of aggressive cichlids?. For example: What would a 75 gallon hold?
If anyone has any good combanation ideas.
Please Reply thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I like Angelfish, they are very cool. I used to own a black male and an all white female. They all got along with my 2 mollys and 4 platies in my 29 gallon tank.
It also depends on the tank size, cause you cannot put an oscar into a 10 gallon, you just cant...

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I like:
Jack Dempsey's,Severums,Convicts,Firemouths,Green Terror's,Blue Jack Dempsey's,Texas Cichlids,Flowerhorn cichlid's.(I wonder what they can go with?).
Alot of these fish get pretty big and aggressive.

Convicts are very hardy. But will breed like mad and sometimes get you stressed out....LOL

You could put maybe 3-4 of these larger fish together in a 75gal tank. Just remember they get big and territorial. Most cichlids do but these are on the larger side.

Jul 9, 2003
ontario
Visit site
you could go with any number of cichlids, you could create a killer shell dwelling cichlid tank, with shell dwellers from lake tanganika (sp?) such as lamprologous brevis, or lamp. ocellatus, or neolamp. multifasciatus. these fish are all small, so you can put a large number of then in a tank.

that;'s what i would do if i could afford to.

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
large shellie tanks look very plain and almost boring IMO, though i do love multies quite a bit. :)

now shellies and a nice school of cyprichromis.....

do you have any more specific qualities you are looking for in a tank?
M

Sep 27, 2003
DePere, Wisconsin
Visit site
Jack Dempy's and Oscars do very well together. Jack Dempy's are beautiful fish to look at, and the Oscar is a rather creative fish also. In a 75 Gallon tank, I would reccomend 1 Oscar and 2 Jacks. The Oscar will grow to be more than a foot long, and the Jacks will get about 10 inches.. if you allow them enough room to grow to a full size. Have fun with them!!

DarthV

Small Fish
May 1, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by fishydude22
Can:
Jack Dempsey's,Severums,Convicts,Firemouths,Green Terror's,Blue Jack Dempsey's,Texas Cichlids,Flowerhorn cichlid's all get along in let's say a 100 gallon?
No it will not work. A dempsey, oscar and severum probably would though. I would not mix a flowerhorn with anything in a 100gal tank, unless you have a divider. The texas might work with the dempsey and a convict...but the texas would be much more aggressive than all the others but the flowerhorn.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
The shelldweller ideas are good, you could also do a nice group of african (mbuna or peacocks) in a 75 but do your research to prevent crossbreeding.

(I am partial to african cichlid tanks myself. but everyone here knows that) :D