Where to find duckweed?

MrParker

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
So Cal
I live in the San Diego/Poway area, anyone know whewre i could find some duckweed? or maybe i could buy it cheep somewhere? Thanks

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Close your eyes, and turn around three times while clicking your heels....(at least thats the way it seems to get into my tank. One day nothing, next day the surface is covered in the stuff):D

Sorry, I would say you would be able to get this stuff dirt cheap online. Have you tried www.aquariumplant.com ? I just checked there, and its not as cheap as I thought only because they sell it in 2lbs package. (What in the world would ANYONE need with 2lbs of duckweed)

For localy, check around at some of the outdoor pond places. I even see it at Lowes down here.

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
First and cheapest way is to raid any local ponds. And is duckweed those little tiny floating plants with small little roots? Ive got a few developing in one tank but it doesnt seem to be too intrusive.

Andrew

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
It helps if you click your heels while you are buying a different plant at Petco or PetSmart. I got all of my duckweed from there without even asking for any. It just came in with a plant; one little leaf of it, and now I have as much as I want to not throw away. My glass catfish hang out under a small patch of it to get some shade from the 90watt lighting above them. I could always send you some of mine if you want some. I throw handfuls out weekly without any remorse.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
For future reference -- If you're in the San Diego area, I highly recommend the San Diego Tropical Fish Club auctions (April and November). There are a lot of great plants and fish really cheap, as well as tanks, equipment, etc. It's well worth the trip. One of the members usually posts about it on MFT with directions, date, time, etc.

MrParker

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
So Cal
april...i'd love to check it out.

Drake, haha thanks for the offer, but i wont make you send it, until i go on a hunt and absolutely CANNOT find it.....i dont wanna owe you tooo much ;) hahah i'm actually going to go hunt right now. I shall return later.

MrParker

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
So Cal
well believe it or not, i failed to find it. I even looked for it at a pond that has been around the longest. oh well, it was just for a 2L bottle ecosystem experient, trying to create a self sustaining mini ecosystem.

Mar 11, 2003
Hey, I have a question about duckweed. Do any of you know if it grows in rivers? I have a river behind my house and was wondering if you think I would be able to find any out there in the summer?

Alexa

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont think its usually in moving water...more of a swampy, pond kind of plant. My dad got some for me when he was out on a job last fall, but my fish enjoyed it all a little too much so after a couple weeks I didn't have any left and the fish ate all of the little pond bugs. Got some REALLY cool little pond critters with it though. Amazing what a fast food Pepsi cup full of "pond" contains!!

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
what kind of river is it?? (fast or slow moving)
duckweed is typically found in ponds and lakes... but i would imagine if it is a slow moving stream, you may find some along the edges and in currentless pools.