What to feed bluegill?

Sep 27, 2009
I am planing on making a bluegill tank. I was just wondering when I get them what to feed them. I usually catch them on bread and small pieces of worms. So I just figured I could feed them that. But I'm not sure so is there something better I could feed them?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
last time I'm going to bug you about getting a smaller species of sunfish.
you can feed them frozen bloodworms, maybe frozen mysis, they should take live blackworms as they get bigger. (I am assuming you're starting with fry sized fish here) Try top get them eating flake and pellet. they should eventually eat anything.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello: An acquaintance has a pond with many bluegill (I do not know which variety). He feeds them and all the other pond fish on pellets purchased for that purpose from a local feed store. The bags are around 50 pounds. My guess is that you can feed them like a large cichlid.
Years ago I saw a bluegill tank in a biology lab. The key item was that it was refrigerated to keep the water cool. That was one reason I never kept this native type as I did not want to invest in a cooling unit.
I know from my topwater flyfishing that the smaller ones can tolerate warmer surface water in the summer at least for a while. It is more common to catch larger individuals in the spring and fall in the shallows. I think the smaller ones may stay in the shallow warm water to avoid being eaten. There is less dissolved oxygen in the warm water and the bigger fish tend to be found deeper as the summer progresses. You may consider collecting your fish from a warm water pond as they might be more acclimated to warm temps.
You also may want to check with the local wildlife authorities about collecting a native species. When I did a field study in the 70's, I had to get a permit to collect fish from some local creeks.
One other thought. If you keep these fish and some day decide to get rid of them, it may be best to put them back in the same place they were collected from. While bluegills are so wide spread that it is unlikely to cause problems wherever you let them go, it may be possible. Released oscars have established breeding populations in Florida waters.

Feb 27, 2009
If you keep these fish and some day decide to get rid of them, it may be best to put them back in the same place they were collected from.
This is illegal in Florida when I lived there in the 1990s. Once kept 'in captivity,' the fish must remain in captivity or culled, unless the laws have changed.

Last edited:

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I did not know that about the Florida laws. It does make sense. Once in captivity it is possible for them to become infected by disease or parasites from other tank fish. That may not be the reason, just a guess on my part. Florida has a multitude of problems from non-native (exotic) species being released into the wild. The climate is suitable for some tropicals to survive. Most, if not all, states have some problems with exotic species and are making laws to try to deal with them. It is a good practice to clean off a boat and trailer if you go from one body of water to another in order to avoid transporting a problem species to a new area. I looked at property just south of knoxville TN last summer and found fire ants.
Checking with the local wildlife authorities is the way to go to avoid legal problems and possible environmental issues. thanks for the input.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
bluegills eat nearly anything. from small crayfish and worms to insect larvea and as they get bigger other small fish. in the wild they are fairly agressive and I have caught them at 4-8 inches long on crankbaits that are about 6 inches long. think of them like catfish. if it fits in their mouth they will probibly eat it.