Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

What fish would be good to stock a 20 gallon saltwater tank for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Saltwater General Discussion' started by Andrew Castagna, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Andrew Castagna

Andrew Castagna Medium Fish

Okay so I have a newly set up 20 gallon reef aquarium with everything working fine and all levels are great. I am ready to add fish, but which ones. I have live rock and aquarium sand in my tank. Would i be able to have a flame angle because i always loved them. Any ideas?

2. KcMopar

KcMopar Superstar Fish

Your tank is a bit small for dwarf angles. If you are looking for hardy fish I would look at the clowns, pseudochromis breeds, goby/bleeny, and fire fish. Check out this link, it has fish for your tank size: Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums . Let me/us know if you have any questions as we would be glad to help you.

3. Andrew Castagna

Firefish

Do different types of firefish school together?

4. Andrew Castagna

Questionable Fish List.

Clownfish, firefish, purple fire fish, and a Yellow Prawn Gobie. Would that work?

5. strout

strout Superstar Fish

Just a thought here, I would stay away from the Maroon Clown fish, they can get kinda big. The one I had at one time, would do a number on the sand bed I had in the tank also. I bought 3 of the regular Fire fish for my old tank, figured they would pretty cool, and they did for awhile. I eventually ended with only one, I read later that the more dominant one will some times kill the others, don't know if that's what happend, just knew they ended up dead.

6. Lotus

Lotus Ultimate Fish

I think four fish is probably too many for a 20g tank. I'd stick with a max of two fish.

7. Andrew Castagna

In the end I got a Firefish, a Ocellaris Clown Fish, a Royal Gramma, and a Velvet Damsel. They are also sending me a Flame Angle and a Yellow Goby. Will this work?

8. KcMopar

KcMopar Superstar Fish

You need to make sure there is plenty of hiding spots, those angels can be a bit aggressive and they might nip at coral if not fed enough. It should work, the Damsel and angel should keep each other busy but the damsel might end up needing a new home.

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!