What fish to put with Tiger Barbs

TLG

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
I have a 30 gallon tank with six baby Tiger Barbs. What other fish would go with them? Probably other Barbs would. Would Catfish? Loaches?Chiclids? I want some fiesty fish in this tank as my other tanks have Tetras and Guppies.Does anyone have Barbs and what other fish do you have with them?Thanks!

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
I've got three barbs in my 10 gal - too few, I know, but its too crowded to add more. Anyway, they get along just fine with my 8 cories. They pretty much ignore the cories altogether. Also, I noticed that the barbs are constantly hungry, and don't mind eating pellets that drop to the bottom of the tank. They steal them away from the cories. Pigs ;)

Other cats should get along well with tigers. Plecos too. When is a school as large as 6, the tigers shouldn't give the other fish in the tank as much of a hard time, as they'll be busy nipping each other rather than the other fish.

Longfinned fish, as cichlid-man said, don't belong with tigers, cause tigers love to nip. Gouramies and angel fish aren't reccomended to put in with barbs. Or veilfinned varieties of tetras.

Jul 15, 2003
Kentucky
Visit site
Basically I agree with what everybody else has said. Tiger barbs will not bother catfish or loaches, but like angel said, they will compete for food. However, you can keep regular gouramis (blue, pearl, etc) with them, but I don't recommend the dwarfs. The regular gouramis are agressive enough to stand their own ground.

In a 30 gal you can keep mollies & platies with them, tetras like neons and head and tail light, danios, and hatchetfish. I suggest you make it a barb tank. Add some rosy barbs or cherry barbs, or you could also do green or albino tiger barbs.

Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
Oh, green barbs are such prettyful fish, but I can never find any. I think NY's in a green barb defecit currently. I'm so jelous of places where they are common. Actually, I was at Ukraine this summer, and in the fish stores, they'd have tanks full of them. So jelous. :p A barb tank is a pretty neat idea though, for a 30 gallon.

druxcyck

Small Fish
Jul 13, 2003
Daytona Beach
Visit site
I have
5 green tiger barbs
5 tiger barbs
2 paradise gourami's (had to specifically request them)
1 Pictus catfish
1 rainbow shark
1 Sunset Platty
1 Guppy
and 1 Betta everyone gets along just fine

I'm thinking I may add a couple more tiger barbs, and probably a couple more guppies and platies since those fish are shoaling fish, they need some buddies

equinom

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The Blue Planet
How small are the "baby" TBs? I got about a doz albino TBs that were about as long as this --- . They have about doubled in size, but 3 died. I'm not sure that fish should be sold at the size these were - how would that be decided? I'm sure it's different for each species, but how small is too small?

cadams

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I am also looking for some tank mates for 6 Tigers in my 20 gallon. I had some zebra danios and a dojo with them but moved them to another tank. So I was thinking a rainbow shark and some gouramis, not sure how many or what type. I was leaning to getting either three opaline gouramis or just one paradise fish. If I go 6 tigers, a paradise fish and a rainbow shark I should be OK, right? Could I also try a few harlequin rasboras too or would that be too many fish, which I think it might be. If I do go with the rainbow should I go with a regular or an albino? I have a fake piece of driftwood which will make a perfect home for the shark.

TLG

Small Fish
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
More Fish....

Thanks all, I got three Zebra Danios and a Siamese Algae Shark. I like the idea of more Barbs, I will keep that in mind. My Tiger Barbs are about an inch long and growing fast.

Aug 26, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
The Tiger Barb is a little trouble maker. Put other Barbs with it or put it in a species tank. I personally dont like them, sell them and buy platies, mollies or something...
But if you want to keep them, a species tank, other small barbs and tetras with VERY SHORT fins. Good Luck!

Managuense

Superstar Fish
May 16, 2003
Springfield, MO
you can do cichlids with t-barbs. kribs, rams, (avoid angels), severums, etc.

as long as the barbs are not too small to be eaten youre fine.

however, instead of doing like 6t-barbs, 6 of this, 4 of that, etc.

why not just get a whole load of t-barbs?

that would make for a better looking tank IMO.

other than that, you could easily get a pair of kribs if you like cichlids.
M

jd_energy

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2003
Washington State
Visit site
I always suggest cories because to me they are a cool fish IMO, also they keep the gravel alot cleaner. The tiger barbs peck at the gravel too, but not as much as the cories. Oh, and they get along with the tiger barbs very well, never have had a problem;)

Last edited:
May 11, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by KeepingTheBeat
However, you can keep regular gouramis (blue, pearl, etc) with them, but I don't recommend the dwarfs. The regular gouramis are agressive enough to stand their own ground.

Do Tiger Barbs really work with Pearl Gouramis... They are not as aggressive as Blue Gouramis...