What equipment do I NEED to have for Fish Only Saltwater tank.

Jun 11, 2011
Canada
Hey, I have been keeping freshwater fish for quite a long time, and now I'm thinking of using my 29 gallon tank as my first Saltwater tank. Jus wondering, what kind of equipment do I need, that I don't have. And what do I use as substrate? I like aragonite, is that good?? Do I need to put live rock in there?? Or can I jus use lace rock or lava rock?? Protien skimmer, is this needed for a FISH ONLY tank?? I have researched it a bit, and I deff do not want to have a reef tank, don't want to have that big of a responsibilty and that much things to have to worry about. I think a fish only tank suits me best, who knows, maybe one day I'll decide to upgrade to that later. Please, any info would be great. Is there anything I'm missing?? Please keep in mind, I want info on FISH ONLY TANK. Thanks.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you only want fish, then you need live rock (1 to 2 lbs. per gallon) and a powerhead or two. Aragonite sand will work. Avoid filters, as they tend to create nitrates in a saltwater tank. You don't really need a protein skimmer. Remember that stocking in a saltwater tank is at a much lower level than in freshwater. You can probably have two or three very small fish in there.