Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Waterproof paint for wood?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by FrankDMann, May 19, 2003.

1. FrankDMann

FrankDMann Medium Fish

I've decided to build a homemade canopy for my 75, and have some real good plans laid out, but there's one question I have. I want to paint the inside of the hood white to reflect light. The inside of the hood itself will be open to the water, and I want to use a waterproof paint or finish of some sort to seal it from the "elements" of the tank. Does anyone have a suggestion?

2. amishfignewton

amishfignewton Medium Fish

If you want to spraypaint it, rustolium makes a metalic finish spray paint that will be able to reflect light, but I do not think it comes in white. In my store it comes in silver, chrome, gold, brass... Ummm, you could also do this.

get some BIN 123 primer made by zinsser (home depot, sears, lowes, true value all carry this stuff) and prime the wood. Then paint it with an outdoor high gloss. That should be able to reflect alot of light, and the bin123 will protect the wood very nicely from water damage. paint it all outside cause the bin and the outdoor paint has a bad odor and high fumes. Weatherbeater High gloss outdoor will run you about 12 bucks for a QT, not sure about home depot's brands.

3. SoulFish

SoulFish Superstar Fish

you would probably be better just taping some aluminum foil in

4. FrankDMann

FrankDMann Medium Fish

The reason I decided against the aluminum foil is that it doesn't protect the wood, and since there will be no glass hood or anything, I don't want the wood to get damaged. I don't think that foil will protect the wood, unless by some miracle I do it better than anyone in the history of mankind, and leave no crack uncovered.

Foil would be the best for light, i guess, but I'd still have to protect the wood, right?

I think I might go with amishfignewton's suggestion. Thanks for everyone's help!

5. SLO-Dean

SLO-Dean Large Fish

White is naturally reflective, use a good primer first and then just about any paint (high gloss to increase reflectivness) to seal it, make sure to let the paint "cure" that is to dry really well. Outdoor paint would be the most durable, but since the inside of the canopy won't actually be in contact with the water, a quality indoor paint would be fine. (talk to your paint store)

Alumionum foil isn't practical, but a thought might be aluminum sheet or sheet metal that was polished and screwed the the lid. I would still want to paint or varnish to seal the wood.

I just stained and then urethaned my canopy, and mounted lights to the lid.

6. Scavanger

Scavanger Small Fish

I like bathtub epoxy paint.
    1: it's cheap
    2: it's a sealer
    3: you can spray it
    4: all the colors under the rainbow
    5:NON-TOXIC

7. FrankDMann

FrankDMann Medium Fish

wow, AWESOME idea Scavenger!!!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

8. Scavanger

Scavanger Small Fish

Your Welcome, enjoy your new canopy!!

9. aznpanther98

aznpanther98 Large Fish

wow haven't visited this site in so long and something new always comes up bathroom epoxy.... never even thought about it lol need to fix our tub anyways so i guess i cant get some for my canopy :)

10. sinasster

sinasster Large Fish

you seem to be stuck on only one product.
    Get some water seal for the wood and then get a proper reflector or foil for the light.

11. Wormo3188

Wormo3188 Large Fish

Um...Wont the elements damage the light that is inside the hood? Because that will be exposed to the elements? Or did I miss something?

12. revfred

revfred Superstar Fish

Go to a good marine/boating supply store. Tell them what you need and what you are going to use it for. The will have everything that you need and in whatever color you want.

Fred

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!