Waterproof paint for wood?

FrankDMann

Medium Fish
May 5, 2003
Va Beach
netertainment.net
I've decided to build a homemade canopy for my 75, and have some real good plans laid out, but there's one question I have. I want to paint the inside of the hood white to reflect light. The inside of the hood itself will be open to the water, and I want to use a waterproof paint or finish of some sort to seal it from the "elements" of the tank. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Apr 15, 2003
markandlacey.com
If you want to spraypaint it, rustolium makes a metalic finish spray paint that will be able to reflect light, but I do not think it comes in white. In my store it comes in silver, chrome, gold, brass... Ummm, you could also do this.

get some BIN 123 primer made by zinsser (home depot, sears, lowes, true value all carry this stuff) and prime the wood. Then paint it with an outdoor high gloss. That should be able to reflect alot of light, and the bin123 will protect the wood very nicely from water damage. paint it all outside cause the bin and the outdoor paint has a bad odor and high fumes. Weatherbeater High gloss outdoor will run you about 12 bucks for a QT, not sure about home depot's brands.

FrankDMann

Medium Fish
May 5, 2003
Va Beach
netertainment.net
The reason I decided against the aluminum foil is that it doesn't protect the wood, and since there will be no glass hood or anything, I don't want the wood to get damaged. I don't think that foil will protect the wood, unless by some miracle I do it better than anyone in the history of mankind, and leave no crack uncovered.

Foil would be the best for light, i guess, but I'd still have to protect the wood, right?

I think I might go with amishfignewton's suggestion. Thanks for everyone's help!

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
White is naturally reflective, use a good primer first and then just about any paint (high gloss to increase reflectivness) to seal it, make sure to let the paint "cure" that is to dry really well. Outdoor paint would be the most durable, but since the inside of the canopy won't actually be in contact with the water, a quality indoor paint would be fine. (talk to your paint store)

Alumionum foil isn't practical, but a thought might be aluminum sheet or sheet metal that was polished and screwed the the lid. I would still want to paint or varnish to seal the wood.

I just stained and then urethaned my canopy, and mounted lights to the lid.