Type of Cories

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Ok, so, I want to get some Corydoras!! The thing is, I don't know what type. I'll either get a TON of Pygmy Cories (my lfs has them for $2 each) or at least 6 bigger ones. I'll be putting them in my 30 gallon tank. They are scavengers, right?? I was also thinking about making my 150 into an Angel Tank. What do you guys think??

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
lol!! How many can I put in a 150. I'm probably going to have a few scavengers and I don't want any pairs either. How can I make sure that I have all females (or something to prevent them from breeding)?? 2+ Angels + Spawning Time = Aggression and possible dead fish. Laura, was it you who had that little White Dwarf Angel??

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Does your 30 g still have the goldfish? The cories would be too cold at goldfish temperatures.

Other than that, I vote for pygmies, as long as nothing will be in the tank big enough to snack on them. They are one of my favorite fish!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Oops!! Forgot to mention that. I'm thinking about putting 1 or 2 Red and White Ryukin Goldfish in my 30 gallon with a filter that was meant for a 50 gallon. I'm turning the 150 into a Tropical tank. That's what will have the Cories in it. How many Pygmies do you think I should get?? I'm still debating on the Angels in the 150 gallon. Would they pick on the Cories?? What if the Cories were there first and I got the Angel (thinking about a single Angel now) as a baby (which would be around 2-3 inches)??

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Angels shouldn't pick on cories. You could do a huge school of pygmy cories in a 150g, but in a tank that size you could do a huge school or regular cories too!
No way to tell if you have male or female angels until they breed. In a 150g, there's enough room that you could have a breeding pair in there and other fish would have places to hang out. I'd love a 150g full of angels! And yeah, Kiara, I had the dwarf angel - I have three of her siblings still in my 39g.
Angels, clown loaches and congo tetras would be my vote ;)

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
I know!! I want some Ghost Shrimp, but I'm afraid my Betta will eat them. She's already got a crazed look in her eyes when she sees new Platy fry, although she doesn't eat them. Anybody want some Platy babies?? Tiger Platy fry, anybody!! I need to get rid of these things!!! lol!!

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
I know!! I want some Ghost Shrimp, but I'm afraid my Betta will eat them. She's already got a crazed look in her eyes when she sees new Platy fry, although she doesn't eat them. Anybody want some Platy babies?? Tiger Platy fry, anybody!! I need to get rid of these things!!! lol!!
Once your fry have grown a bit and ready to be moved find out what places in your area will trade your fry for other stuff. Some will actually pay you. I got two pearl gourami for my batch of danio babies. Tiger platys are a bit rarer.

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
I don't know about eating them, but I had a betta who was very intrigued with the shrimp I put in his tank. He made them nervous enough that they started trying to jump out. Can't remember if those were amano shrimp or cherry shrimp, as we've kept both, but either way I'd be wary!

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
lol thanks. Idk how much I should ask for a batch of Tiger Platy fry. All the places say that they have to be at least 1 1/2 inches to sell, and my 3 month olds are only 1 in!! They'll be nearly full grown by the time I can sell them!! But still, what's a good price?? I have at least 15 Tiger Platy fry. Maybe I'll throw some others in too.