Sugar for fermentation in Co2 canister

Onyx!

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2010
So I got one of these CO2 canisters for my plants. Reading the instructions, it says use white table sugar, use no substitutes. Trouble is, I don't keep white table sugar in the house, I only use natural granulated cane sugar. Will it really make that much difference if I use this? I'd imagine I'd need to use a bit more than I would of white sugar... perhaps that's why they say don't use substitutes? I can always get some white sugar but that means waiting at least a week before I can set this up.

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
The sugar is supposed to be dissolved in water for the yeast to eat. It really doesn't matter much what kind of sugar you use as long as it turns into yeast food. If you wanted to make wine with your CO2 you could use freshly pressed grape juice. Just make sure none of the water ever reaches your tank. You're effectively making a very low quality still.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.

Onyx!

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2010
Thanks :) Yeah I was thinking that cane sugar wouldn't dissolve as readily so I was going to dissolve it in boiling water, then let it cool to room temperature.

Feb 27, 2009
Thanks :) Yeah I was thinking that cane sugar wouldn't dissolve as readily so I was going to dissolve it in boiling water, then let it cool to room temperature.
It works just fine if you boil it and let it cool. I think the warning about using 'real' sugar is that some have tried sugar substitues (low-calorie). Those types of 'sugar' will not feed the yeast.