sucker fish

Peter2

Medium Fish
May 3, 2008
i was thinking about breeding sucker fish bit i don't know how to tell if there a boy or girl. So can anyone tell me how to rell if there a boy or a girl. And how to breed them please?

charls

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Sucker fish? Do you mean catfish or pleco's or maybe algae eater's? I can't really help since i don't know what it is. But i'm pretty sure you mean pleco's, guess i'm not to big on catfish.:p

From what i have read it is very difficult or not known how to sex them. Your best bet would be to get 3-5 of them. And i'm not sure but i believe the bristle nose pleco would be easiest to breed. At least i have heard of many people being able to breed them.

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Yeah, bristlenoses are quite easy to breed. Ive bred them lots of times. Males will have bristles around and on the snout, females sometimes have bristles but they are shorter and there isnt as many as males have. A lot of females wont have bristles at all. :)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Peter dont take this the wrong way but you still havent said what kind of fish it is, we are assuming you mean common plecos but sucker fish and the big black catfish doesnt really help anyone answer your question. Then with plecos there are tons of varities so you probably need to narrow it down to the exact pleco you are interested in.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
To breed common plecos you need a pond in a tropical enviroment like south Texas and central to south Florida. The males dig caves in the banks of the pond. This behavior seem to be needed for commons and is next to impossible to duplicate in the home aquarium.

If you wish to breed plecos, I suggest you start out with Bristle nose and move up to any of the hypancistrus species, particularly L260 is a simple to breed pleco.

When you move from BNs to more difficult species be sure to follow the guidelines I outline in the breeding plecos thread at the top of this forum.