Starting a Native Darter tank

Feb 27, 2009
I'm researching the care of native darters before setting up an aquarium for some. Anyone out there have any advice? I've seen them when canoeing and camping and would love to set up the appropriate environment for them.

What sized aquarium should I start with? How many and what kind are good to keep together? Any other fish to keep with them, or are they best as a species only tank? Temperature? Water movement? Planted?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
OrangeCones,

I currently keep rainbow darters, I have kept a M/F pair in a 10G with 3blackstripe topminnows. Room temperature is fine, none of my native tanks have heaters. I currently keep some male rainbows and blue spotted sunfish in my planted 90G. I would recommend visiting the NANFA link in my sig and browsing thru there.

Feb 27, 2009
Sadly, I live in an old farm house and 'room temperature' fluctuates in the winter down to 62 or so and up to 75. Would that kind of fluctuation be bad for them? You have two in a 10, so I'm thinking a 20long would be ok? Do they need to be kept in pairs? They should be kept in pairs? I read that they like more current or water movement. Do you think that is so for the rainbows? They look beautiful.

lludu

Large Fish
Oct 17, 2009
Frederick, MD
Sadly, I live in an old farm house and 'room temperature' fluctuates in the winter down to 62 or so and up to 75.
Fluctuation due to room temp. is relatively slow and the fish will adapt to it, or should. It would be the same thing with having goldfish / other cold water fish.. they would adapt at the slow rate of change

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I wouldnt worry about the temp fluctuation, these fish would get the same fluctuations in the wild. I dont think they need to be in pairs I have 2 males in a 90G and they do fine and do not interact. Yes they prefer current, I would use a small powerhead if your filter doesnt provide enough flow through out the tank.

Feb 27, 2009
All I use are powerheads with sponge filters. Maybe use one that has an adjustable output, so I can regulate how much flow they get, see what they like.

You ever get any to breed?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I havent been able to lower my temps enough to replicate nature and induce breeding, I hope to next year but I have to bring water temps down to almost freezing for a few months then slowly start raising them. In theory that should get the female to produce eggs.

Feb 27, 2009
Heck, if cold is all it takes, I could do that! It's 38 right now on my 'sun porch' on the back of my house! Hmm...maybe a chiller....I wouldn't want to buy one but since I still have two from saltwater days.....