Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Rubber Lip Pleco

Discussion in 'BottomFeeder Discussion' started by sjay, Sep 11, 2003.

1. sjay

sjay Small Fish

Starting to get some brown algae in my tank and was trying to get some info on a Rubber Lip Pleco. How big do they get and are they as effective at riding a tank of algae as I have heard? Anyone have one? Thanks.

2. KimandRob

KimandRob Large Fish

We have a rubber lip and he is really cool looking, Not sure if he cleans any better though. We've had him for about 5 months and he's still small. He's definately cooler looking than a normal pleco. Brown algae is usaully built up when you leave the light on for too long. Try turning the light on the tank on a little later in the day and a little earlier at night. Worked for us. :)

3. Davy

Davy Large Fish

I'm also wondering what kind of algae they eat. There max size is 5".

4. sjay

sjay Small Fish

Does the rubber lip pleco have another common name? I went to planetcatfish.com and couldn't find any reference to it. There is, however, a rubber nose pleco. Is that what I'm thinking of???

5. Scorpio

Scorpio New Fish

I'm pretty sure the rubber lip & rubber nose pleco are one & the same. They're so cute!

6. sjay

sjay Small Fish

Went ahead and picked one up today (a rubber lip). Hopefully he'll step up to the plate and get the job done. I'd hate to have to clean that algae myself!! We'll see what happens. I have thought about not having the light on as much during the day, but I'm concerned about my plants since I only have 20 watts of light.

7. duhockey

duhockey New Fish

I have a rubber lipped pleco. I heard that they stay small at the largest 6-8".

My rubber lipped is bigger than my hifin pleco, and was bullying around my whole 30 gallon community tank. He would suck on my african dwarf frogs and eat their food. He would chase away the tetras and danios, even the black molly. Yesterday my wife came home to the rubber lip eating the remains of the hifin pleco.

So, I moved him over to my 55 gallon with some silver dollars and tiger barbs. He isnt so feisty anymore.

8. Lakea

Lakea Large Fish

I have heard them referred to as bulldog plecs too. I had a rubber lip, he was the cutest little pleco, unfortunately he got too friendly with a powerhead. Mine never touched the brown algae though, he was much of an algae cleaner at all, but he was still just a baby. Good luck with your new addition!

9. mistercoffee

mistercoffee Large Fish

I'm going to pick one up today because I'm having a big algae problem. These guys are sooo freaking cute. I checked the LFS today and they a bunch and they look really good and are ich free.

10. simplyfish

simplyfish Medium Fish

I have a rubber lip pleco, cute fish with a gorgeous spotted back.

Very shy though, he spends a lot of the time hiding behind the bogwood or other decorations in there. He only really comes out if the lights are on when the room is very quiet.

Would having more of them help them be less shy does anyone think, would love to see a bit more of him.

11. JLW

JLW Small Fish

I have 1 rubber lip pleco and 2 clown pleco's in my 90 gallon tank and i havent seen any reduction in algae at all, I really like my clown plecos but rarely see them maybe 1 time in 3 months, if that.

12. OrangeCones

OrangeCones Elite Fish

The Macrotocinclus affinis, formallly Otocinclus affinis, commonly called Oto or Oto Cat is a great algae eater that stays small. They rarely get over 2 inches.

When I left a friend in charge of a 29gallon heavily planted tank, he wanted to see the fish longer than the light timer allowed, so frequently turned the light back on. After two weeks, the entire tank was covered in brown algae.

A shoal of 5 Otos cleaned the tank in 4 days. I have to feed them algae waffers and fresh veggies (they love zuchini and peas) since I do not have enough algae to keep them full.

#12 OrangeCones, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  13. OrangeCones

OrangeCones Elite Fish

If you do get Otos, keep in mind they are a shoaling (or schooling) fish. They are very unhappy being alone. Keep at least 5 and they will be happy algae eating machines.

14. mistercoffee

mistercoffee Large Fish

Yeah these RL Pleco's are good hiders! Haven't worked on the algae much either. I'll give him some time. He's gotta be eating something.

15. jordanandaaronsmamma

I just got a rubber lips and he is so shy, he never comes out, we never see him. Anyone got any suggestions? Also, my glass catfish seem to be playing the hiding game lately too. ???

16. BlueStraggler

BlueStraggler Large Fish

If you add a few more for a shoal, you'll see more activity.

17. Moshi-Cat

Moshi-Cat Medium Fish

So what's the differance between a rubber lip/nose pleco and the regular high-fin gets 20 inches long pleco?

18. unwritten law

unwritten law Superstar Fish

one gets 20 inches and the other gets 6 tops because its a different species. Respectively they both eat algae pretty well but the common pleco looks ugly and isn't suited for most tanks.

19. Moshi-Cat

Moshi-Cat Medium Fish

Ok, my bristlenose is cuter than the rubberlips I saw at petsmart the other day and probobly wont even get 6 inches long.

Hey, we've got a plastic pond in our backyard. There used to be a pleco in it but he got eaten by something, do you think I should get another one? I'd never see him anyway.

20. unwritten law

unwritten law Superstar Fish

not worth it.... I dont see how a pleco can work in a outdoor pond anyways... Is it heated?

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!