Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

No Power! What do I do?

Discussion in 'FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions' started by supergirltnt, Sep 23, 2005.

1. supergirltnt

supergirltnt Small Fish

The storm that blew through the midwest knocked out our power. What do you do for filtration and oxygen for your tanks? How long will the fish typically last with no power? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. hyunelan2

hyunelan2 Large Fish

As long as it doesn't last for days, you'll be fine. Oxygen is dissolved into the water along the surface of the tank. It always works like that, but using filtreation/aeration 'mix up' the water so more is at the top to take in the oxygen.

Really, what can you do? Unless you want to go out and spend the money for a battery backup system, or battery powered filter and air pump - there's not much that can be done withoug power.

3. seastaar88

seastaar88 Superstar Fish

they'll be fine. it would be helpful to stir up the water with your hand every now and again to mix up the water and aerate it a bit. if the power is out for more than a day, you can do a water change.

4. vinodhv

vinodhv Large Fish

when we had a recent power outage, i took an empty, clean pitcher, filled it with tank water, and slowly poured it from about a foot from the water level. did it every hour or so to keep the water oxygenated.

5. Fish Friend

Fish Friend Superstar Fish

If you can. get a batery bowered air pump and try to get one of them polestyrene boxes and that should keep it warm while the power is out

6. Charlius

Charlius Medium Fish

They make battery powered filters?? I'd really like to get my hands on one, so if anyone knows how I can get one. I know they have emergency power supplies, but a filter that you can just put batteries in would be awesome!

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!