Newbie - goldfish popping bubbles.....???

May 25, 2005
Newbie - goldfish blowing bubbles.....???

Ok, I am new at keeping fish. I've done a lot of research, and then I got my first goldfish, a fantail, about 2 weeks ago. She's been doing great, but now she's been doing something kind of odd. At night and in the morning, I'll wake up to hear little soft popping noises from her tank. She won't do it while i'm watching her, but I've been spying on her and she is going up to the top sides of the tank and maybe...blowing bubbles? popping bubbles? spitting out bubbles? I'm not exactly sure. There ARE a bunch of bubbles collecting around the top sides of the water....Is this normal, and does anyone know what she's doing or why? I just want to make sure she isn't sick or anything. THANKS!!! :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2005
Goldfish blowing bubbles...?

I'm new at this, just got my first goldfish about two weeks ago, and she's doing great, except now she's like, blowing bubbles at the top sides of the tank....i think. Is that what she's doing? And why? I just want to make sure its normal and she isn't sick or crazy. lol There are a whole bunch of bubbles collecting around the top sides....and am i going to piss her off when i do the water change in about a day and take away her bubbles??? HELP!

-New goldfish keeper

a bowl isn't going to fit a goldfish... usualyl people say its either 10 gallons per gold fish or 20 gallons for the first one and 10 gallons for any more... I think the reason why its doing this is cause it needs air like preggoguppo mentioned or either you dont have any surface agitation and the fish feels weird with no water movement

Sep 23, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
It is not normal for goldfish to hang out at the top. Usually it is due to poor water quality, too small of a tank (less than 10 gallons) where oxygen is not high (filtration in a goldfish tank should be at the least 8 times per hour), over eating -some fish gulp air to help with digestion -feeding sinking foods reduces this. I would first check the water readings for ammoina, nitrite, and nitrate. Since you have had her only two weeks the tank is cycling and most likely the water quality is poor if you have not been testing often and changing water based on the results. I know in my 125 gallon that is stocked at one fish per 15 gallons I have to change water at 40% weekly or more to keep nitrate at under 20.

Last edited:

meanjean

Medium Fish
May 10, 2005
Kentucky
Are you sure the noise is bubbles?

I have a feeder goldfish that is about 10 years old and lives happily in a 10 gallon tank by itself. Sometimes at night I hear this clicking noise, and the fish (still no name after all this time) is moving the gravel around, sometimes it looks like it is trying to spit the gravel out at the top of the water and the clicking is the gravel hitting the glass--is this what your popping noise could be????