new hybrids

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
Well I'm at it again lol. I don't try to hybridize and I also never sell my hybrids but i tend to get alot. I've got some maingano lab hybrids in my tank that are getting good and big. they have spawned with eachother and with natural pure labs. got some nifty combos with some really pretty fish. but i think i have a new batch with a new type of fish introduced. I bought some flametail juvies about a year ago and only had 2 females and 1 male survive to adulthood. I noticed some fry in the tank that are brown but have the same shape as my labs. they don't look like peacock fry. this could be a really interesting mix.

Anyone else keep hybrids just out of plain curiosity to see what comes out?

Dec 1, 2013
I'm surprised nobody has responded to this post! I wish I could just let my fish breed, but they're all way too young. I have a huge soft spots for hybrids though because of my Blood Parrots. I love their personalities so much. I'm excited to see what kinds of hybrids I'll get, a few of my juveniles have some really great color already, and I'm waiting for a batch of fry to see what will come out of it. Do you have an update on the lab-bodied, brown fry?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
only see 2 of them right now and they are only quarter of an inch long or so now. I used to strip my cichlids and raise the fry but I ran out of tanks to be able to do that so now my cichlids just breed in the tank and i get a few here and there survive. the rock in the tank has tons of little holes and tunnels through it about as big as a pencil, so if they get spit out above that they generally survive.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Back when i kept livebearers i used to hybridize the swordtails and platies to try and get new colors like the blue swordtail (it exists now) but didnt really do it right haha. kept getting small fish that looked like a mutt color mix :p

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I don't try to cross them, it just happens lol. I am kinda a purist for the most part and like the wild verieties. i just end up with hybrids lol. I am trying to breed some guppies for color but it's kinda hap hazard lol