Need for Airstone?

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
Hi All

I have three Angels in my 20 Gallon with a Penguin 200 filter. They are doing great after nearly a year, but I know it will be time to move them up to a 30 or 50 in a few months.

My main question is with my Penguin filter is there a need for an airstone in the tank as well? Do the HOB filters add enough oxygen to the water, or is an airstone also a good idea?

I have one in there now, but just wondering the need or do I have it there because it seems a "good thing" to do.

Just looking for some facts.

Thanks
:)

Last edited:

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
well i have hob filters on my tanks and i have a 18 inch bubble wall in my 90 gal and a 6 or 7 inch one in my 55 gal. and i think it is a good idea for your fish to have more oxygen plus it looks nice IMO.

but if you decide to get more bubbles in there, make sure your pump is strong enought to pump the needed bubbles through the stone. i know that i have 100 wt and a 60 wt whisper pumps on my 90 to make the large bubble wall and my ugf work sufficently.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Well I can't say for sure, but I'm assuming it certainly helps put more oxygen in the water, I have bubble walls in 4 out of my 6 tanks, some for function, some for cosmetics, It sounds like you'd have adequate oxygen if you choose to pull the air stone, that penguin flows 200 GPH so in theory your cycling the tank water 10 times per hour, however if you don't mind it in there (air stone)..leave it :p

Last edited:

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
you don't really need an air stone, if your filter is big enough for your tank.

An airstone increases oxygen by increasing surface agitation. It's an nice way to add oxygen if you don't want to use a powerhead and create more of a flow.

The question is when you upgrade your 20gal, are you going to upgrade the filter as well. If not, then yes you're going to need something to increase the water circulation, to increase the gas exchanges.

I personally like the looks of bubbles. I like the fact that it keeps the tank from having dead spots and I think it helps the filter do a better job because of it. But, a powerhead does the same thing. I don't like how darn noisy the air pumps seem to be no matter which brand or how many towels your wrap around it :)

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
You dont need an air stone but it helps, first i would have to ask if you have plants or not. if you do have plants put it in for 2-3 hours a day if you have plastic you can have it in for 12 hours a day, just make sure the air current is too strong for your fish and make sure the engine doesnt burn out.

oh and side note dont run it over night, air pumps are noisy.

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
Fishywishy said:
The question is when you upgrade your 20gal, are you going to upgrade the filter as well. If not, then yes you're going to need something to increase the water circulation, to increase the gas exchanges.
Upgrade my 20G....lol :)

I'll add a 50G and keep my 20G and yes I would plan a larger filter, though I don't have enough experience yet to know what would be best for a 50G, so I'll have to research that a bit when the time comes.

Thanks

Fishywishy

Large Fish
Sep 19, 2006
lol I didn't want to make assumptions lol

for all I know you're idea of getting a bigger tank was to go buy a 29 gal and stick everything from the 20gal in it

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Water will only hold so much oxygen at a given temperature. The water right near the surface absorbs as much oxygen as it can, all the time.

All an air stone does is lift the water from the bottom up to the top. As long as your filter is accomplishing that (which most "waterfall" filters do just fine), then you can't put any "more" oxygen in the water.

The only time an airstone would allow you to put more oxygen in the water is if you ran a mixed gas through it that had a higher concentration of O2 than what we breathe (or pure O2 for that matter...)

Strider

Small Fish
May 27, 2005
Thanks all for the information...that helps me understand. I'll just keep the airstone for cosmetic reasons then.

So what about a 55 gallon tank?

I'm going to start buying what I need for my new addition over the next couple months. I currently have a Penguin 200 biowheel on my 20G, should I buy a larger for the 55G like the Penguin 350, or is something else going to be better? Maybe run a pair of 150? Thoughts?

Also are two heaters a better option for a tank that large?

You know I have not liked the Whisper heaters I have been buying. Seems they have this black gridlike plastic covering that flakes off after a year or more. Got to buy a better heater too.

I'll seed the 55G with some gravel and toss in an old filter from my 20G when the time comes and start with a fishless cycle. Then move my angels over after it acclimates for 2-4 weeks.

Any other experienced advice?

Thanks all, this is a great forum. :)