my new filter is so loud!

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
i have anew penguin 350 filter and the noise is awful. it has been running for 4 days and is still way too loud. is there anything i can do?

Hello Robinanne,

I don't have any problems with my filter it is a Flubal 4 plus, if I were you, I would go to the shop that you brought from and ask if it could be faulty.

Do you have a air pump, because I know they can be noisy. If you have turn it off and make sure that it is the pump.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Some are quieter than others. The "Whisper" HOBs are pretty silent. If you have a sponge filter hooked up to an air pump, those are pretty loud. Even the Bio Wheel ones are loud IMO.

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
the penguin has two bio wheels that they said would quiet down in 24-48 hours. it has been five days. i ordered a bunch of new decorations for my new tank that i haven't gotten yet. one is a color bubbler? so nothing in the tank but the filter and a couple of plastic plants from my other tank. the water is still kind of cloudy?

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Is the noise from the water, or is it motor noise, or a vibration in the plastic housing?

The 350 is a pretty good sized filter that should have a 55g tank clear within a few hours. What size tank is it in?

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
the noise is from the water. it sounds like my 25 gallon tank when the water level gets low. but the water is all up to the top on my new 55 gallon tank. i need to figure out the cloudy thing before i get my fish. any suggestions on good test kit?
thanks!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Before you figure out any cloudiness, you need to figure out cycling a tank BEFORE you get any fish. Read up on it, otherwise you'll have more problems than a noisy filter.

robinanne

Medium Fish
Apr 12, 2009
florida
thanks guys! i checked all the things you suggested. still very loud though. miss fishy i love your site! i am going to buy the test kit ttapu2u recommends. i got all my stuff for the inside of the tank last night and put it in. it looks ok but i am not happy with it yet. the water cleared up but i know i am still a while from getting fish. what about the color bubbler? was that a bad idea?

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Bad idea on the bubbler? No I don't think so. Just power it down before you vacuum. I don't see how that would cause your filter to be so noisy.

So another suggestion...try adding a little more water in it.
And one more...maybe the sponge is set too low. Try wiggling it up a little.
Hope that makes sense lol.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Inc. is the brand you want to buy in regards to tests.
Don't buy the strip tests. They are highly inaccurate.