my discus are dying

Sep 9, 2010
Hello, my discus have become ill i have read up and i came to the conclusion fin rot and ick. i have treated with aquarium salt, quik crue and other protazon. some have responded the others have not. my most prize dicus has lost all the fin on her tail . i want so much to save her i have isolated her, she started to do well but the other discus would attack her so i had to isolate her agian. she is really deteriorating and it is hard to watch. i do frequent water changes and i have 0 ammonia 6.5 ph 85% temp . I feed frozen brine shrimp,blk worm,flake high n carotene. since they have been sick and to maintain the tank clean just flake. i have already lost a golden nugget pleco and a baby blue discus my 2 large discuss are now infected, the colbolt is on her death bed the blue discus has white dust on front fins and tail please help. oh id like to mention that i have 5 discus in all 2 med lg 1 med 2 sm and they are always attacking each other . i have read the should be kept in groups of six or more there is noo harmony, they are very territorial.i have even re arange the tank to restablish hiding spots but the bulling is constant iam really concerned about this .

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
With your temp that high, ick shouldn't be able to survive. What are your nitrite and nitrate readings? Fin rot is usually a sign of poor water conditions. When you do water changes, are you vacuuming the substrate REALLY well? If you don't, the ick spores that fall onto the substrate from your fish will just keep regenerating and reinfecting your fish. Also, what size tank are they in?

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I am not so sure the discus have ICK. It is very, very rare in Discus. Can you provide pictures? PH is not so important as a stable PH. What are nitrates and nitrites? How big of a tank is it? How much and how frequent are the water changes.

Discuss can be very aggressive especially if one is smaller. You may have to rehome the smaller ones when they are better.