Molly has a bubble growing from body? Help!

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Well that's never a good thing... Really it means it was ingesting whatever killed the molly. Not much you can do about it though, just keep an eye on them and be ready to do something if anything turns up.

I just want to emphasize though, there is *nothing* saying the shark will get sick! There are too many factors one way or the other to diffinatively say and it's completely dependant on it's immune system. Jumping the gun and trying to "fix" something that may not be a problem *could* do more harm than good... Change all to often = stress which in turn = weakend immune system. Patience is key ;).

Chris

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Well, I went to Petco last night. I showed the guy a pic of my molly and his immediate thought was that it looked like a fungus of some sort. He gave me Pimafix. I thought I had a hospital tank, but apparently the girl that left me with this tank, took that one with her when she left, so I have no hosp. tank setup available. The bubble that deflated is back and larger than before (see picture). I have a bad feeling this is dropsy. He's very bloated and I think I see some "pine cone" effects going on. He's still eating.

stop taking advice from fish store workers, lol. and if you have no hospital tank you cant use the meds anyway, it would harm your sharks. sorry for your loss

EnyaGirl

Medium Fish
Dec 16, 2008
stop taking advice from fish store workers, lol. and if you have no hospital tank you cant use the meds anyway, it would harm your sharks. sorry for your loss
Yes, I will do that..lol...not like they could have saved him anyway if it was in fact, Dropsy but he seemed *so* sure of what it was. Sighh...I guess I'll have this bottle of stuff if any of my other fish ever do happen to get a fungul infection! In the meantime, would doing a routine weekly water change (I usually do 40-50%) be too stressful on the rest of the tank right now in the event something IS festering and stressin them out? Or would a water change do good to rid/dilute the water column of any possible bad stuff that might be in there?

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'd just stick to your routine, if that's 40-50% weekly W/C's then so be it ;).

So far as "not listening to LFS workers"... I'm really not looking for an argument when I say this... but *I'm* a little offended by that. They aren't all the same... and just like everyone else they all have different experience levels and different experiences. Not all of them are out to sell you everything under the sun either. I sure as heck didn't (not good for *LONG TERM* repeat customers) and if I take a recient job offer to run a LFS, I sure as heck won't then either.

Chris