Melafix and what to do After Treatment

Desi

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2004
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
So I decided to apply a melafix treatment; 6teaspoons daily for 7 days in my 65gal malawi tank.

The reason for this was I just dont know what diseases or parasites these fish could be having and as to why some were dying. So better preventative than tackling antibiotics and the likes.

Monday will be day 7; I imagine I will re-introduce the carbon into my astro and aquaclear filters but should I perform a water change? The tank definetely looks like it needs a cleaning (but I will leave the algae that is growing on the rocks for the cichlids to nibble on).

I'm just worried that by doing a water change right after the treatment is over; I would lose mahy of the beneficial results of the melafix.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Desi, I wish I could help you, I don't know a lot about Melafix. But maybe by posting to this I can "bump" it a bit to have someone take a look that knows more than me. I have had great luck with Aqua Buddies Parasite Clear to get rid of ickies/yuckies in my tank. I would think that a water change coldnt hurt...if you think the tank looks like it needs it then maybe do a 25% change with fresh treated water, and add the Melafix to the new water to keep on the benefits of it?? How are your fish in question looking? Does it seem that the week of Melafix treatment has done the trick? I know that one thing I have learned from this forum, when in doubt, do a partial water change as this can't hurt, it will dilute the problem water conditions.
Good luck!!!
Kelly

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Also, forgot to ask, did you discard the old filter media? Whenever I do a treatment I take the current filter media and float it in the tank in a large ziplock bag so that the beneficial bacteria stays alive and strong for when I put it back in after treatment.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If you read the Melafix instructions it says to do a 25% change after the 7 day treatment. Please, please, please, always read the instructions carefully on every medicine and follow them exactly.

You really need to look into why your fish are dying. Melafix is fine for mild fin rot or damage, but really won't help against a parasite infestation or a more severe bacterial infection.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
I'm with Lotus on this one - melafix is little more than a tonic - I'm not knocking the stuff, but it sure won't 'cure" most things - it just helps with healing.

if your fish keep dying after this - post again and we'll try and work out what's going on in there....

Desi

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2004
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
k; thank you so much for your input folks;

well the fish that have been dying have always been either the smaller/weaker mbunas or the demasonis. I think I may have had 6 demasonis at one point; I'm down to 3. Also most of my mbunas and all my demasonis were purchased from a mixed mbuna tank.

I have also lost johanni's; but i'm convinced the johannis that were dying came from a bad stock; because the 2-3 that died were purchased at the same time from the same lfs.

The johannis died from something that looked like fungal spores growing first from the caudal section of the fish; then growing all over. This only affected those 2-3 johannis and no one else in the tank.

The demasonis; well they were weak; and at first I thought my hap. livingstoni were the culprits as I've read they can be quite aggressive. Then more reading suggested that I just didn't buy enough demasoni's and I will eventually either be left with a breeding pair or just a loner.

I lost a few "zebra" mbunas that were purchased from a mixed tank. Learned my lesson there I swear; no more mix tank fish unless I have a hospital tank (price is just so irresistible)

So; hopefully this tonic will at least treat why my fish keep sracthing themselves (literally all my fish scratch themselves; but I noticed a lot lot less on the weekend; as now my treatment is almost over).

Desi

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2004
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
well; I did a %25 water change today; after 7 days of melafix treatment. I cleaned off the glass walls of the tank and had to re-arange the rocks in order to clean properly. I found a dead acei (who had been quite healthy prior to its going missing a few days ago) underneath a hollow rock. Its body was completly intact; i'm guessing cause its usually only the loaches can get in there; and I doubt they are interested in fish carcases.

Hopefully I'll get a python this week and be able to do more regular water changes in my malawi tank and more importantly take good care of my amazon tank and its new discus residents

Also; I was wondering if I could put the AD frogs in the malawi tank?