long, clear, stringy GOLDFISH POOP!

vo1umeone

Small Fish
Aug 1, 2009
Help? My medium Ryukin (Beautiful Tank) is mopey and has long, stringy poop. He is in a 29 gal with a black moor, a small telescope and a small oranda. The tank has proper filtration and a bubbler.

A few days ago, I found him lying on his back in the corner! At the time, my pleco was still in the tank and he had munched on his tail fin tips so they were thin and holey. Then the tail tips were stringy and fell off. Now the ends of his tail are starting to grow back.

I put Melafix into the tank for 7 days to get it healed up. My black moor (Charlie) had fin rot a while back and his fins are still healing, so I thought this would help him too.

Well, I had to remove most of the plants, because Tank's tail would get caught on them and he would get stuck...He tends to sit along the bottom, but I think he is just lazy, because his fins are usually perky and when I move my hand by the glass, he gets up and swims around fine. Before, I noticed that he would just kind of stumble around and run into a lot of things.
I don't think this is swim bladder disease- he doesn't swim crooked. This seems like a digestive problem, but if it is, I don't know what to do.

He has long, clear poop, sometimes three times longer than his whole body. I feed him a mix of Hikari Gold, Tatra granules, and flakes. I feed him peas too, but he still has the long poop.

Is this parasites? This has been going on for a couple of weeks now but the other fish aren't showing any of the same problems, so they haven't "caught" it. Could he just be eating too much? Could he just be getting big (almost 3 inches (body length)) and at that stage where goldfish start getting clumsy? I don't know.

If this is parasites, would RidIch be an appropriate medication? (I already own it). Please let me know what you think! I'd like to get him fixed up. :/

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
It would likely be internal parasites, for which you'd need a different med. There are medicated fish foods, and I think you could use Maracyn Two as well, but I'm not sure.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Did your fish have finrot when they came from the store? it doesnt sound like youre overstocked too much, so the finrot should go away w/o any medicating if you feed them well.

I know what you mean about goldfish lying upside down or on their sides. I had a big 7" chocolate-black oranda a while back that lived with us for about 6 months. It would float and swim around UPSIDEDOWN most of the time. This is a swimbladder problem, or it could be constipation, with lots of gas buildup. The goldfish swam like that for at least 4 months. i expected it to die any day, but it lasted that long. no matter how comfortable it looked, it was not normal, and it died eventually. It was fed a diet of goldfish flakes and pellets.

My suggestion is to go way beyond the commercial foods.

Pleco dont mix well with goldfish or fish with fat or flat bodies, for that reason. theyll not only suck the slime coat off but will try to eat the fins too.

I find that finrot will heal naturally and fast if the fish is being fed properly, the tank isnt overstocked, and the water is very clean.

goldfish should always be active in search of food if they are not sleeping. if your goldfish is acting lethargic and looks like its sleeping during day time, something in the water could be wrong.

Coldfish are "clumsy cows" by nature. the size doesnt really matter, my oranda is about 3" too and constantly bumps into plants, sometimes breaking the fragile cabomba stems in my tank :mad: but it does so in its search for food.

If a goldfish aimlessly bumps against everything, then again something in the water seems off, or its in pain. (constipation?)

I wouldnt do the ich treatments unless you have a bad case of ich. My oranda has been faring well from its recent case of ich, just by lowering the temp in my tank. Ich can happen i guess when the temps in the tank is too high for goldfish, causing stress. mine was at 79F cuz i keep tropicals, so i lowered it to 75F and the ich is just about gone. a LITTLE salt wouldnt hurt. id say add a teaspoon full to your water everytime you do a water change.

From what ive experienced with this particular oranda, even severely torn fins should grow back perfectly within max of 3 days. diet and water quality is key to regeneration.

Sounds like your goldfish is having either parasitic issues or constipation. Is its belly constantly bloated, even after you havent fed it for a day?
maybe you could include more stuff in its diet? my oranda gets anything that my tropicals eat, including but not limited to: FD tubifex, live california blackworms, algae wafers, frozen peas, live brine shrimp, frozen bloodworm, blanched spinach, zuccini, and romaine lettuce, with a staple of "Spirulina 20" flakes.

Im not saying go crazy and feed all of these to your fish, but a little more variety can help. As far as poop, ive never seen my oranda excrete anything other than bright green to dark brown poop =/ no gas either so it doesnt float.

Last edited:

vo1umeone

Small Fish
Aug 1, 2009
Okie. Well I've had Charlie for a while, so I didn't get him with fin rot.
Beautiful Tank seems to be doing better these days. He's just a big dope.

I heard, though, that RidIch is meant for external parasites and when I used it for a few days, it wasn't changing anything. So I bought some Gel-Tek brand "ultra cure px" and it's supposed to treat internal parasites.
Do you, Newan, or anyone else know if this is a good kind of product? It seems to be works alright but I am confused about parts of the directions.
Heh, thanks though, my fish seem to be doing good!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I have tried a gel medication, just not that brand, but the fish never were interested in eating it, so needless to say it didnt work for me.

And you might be confused on whether the fish are supposed to eat the gel drop or not? yes they are.

vo1umeone

Small Fish
Aug 1, 2009
Yeah he's not really into eating the drops....
But i have an idea!!!! :D
I soak their Hikari pellets in water for a little bit because they're hard and have air in them. I'll just soak it in the gell :3
I'm excited now, thank you! Wow I'm a nerddddd