List of rocks and how they affect ph/gh

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Hello. Our LFS has a nice selection of slate and lava rock and a couple other types of rock. In my sculpture class, I have to make a sculpture using non-traditional materials and I was considering constructing something for my 29 gallon tank. However, I'm not sure how rocks like slate, granite, lava, etc. affect water parameters like ph or gh. Could anyone help me with this? I'd like to compile some sort of a useful list that myself and others could use for reference. Thanks!

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
The rocks you've listed are all safe for aquariums. If you're concerned about whether a rock will affect your water parameters, drop some vinegar on it. It'll react with the acid and fizz. Limestones are what you need to watch out for.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have black slate in some of my tanks (came as a "box of rocks" at Petco) and it hasn't affected anything as far as my water parameters go.

And thanks, emmanuel! I was trying to remember the vinegar trick, but I could remember if it was with vinegar or something else. lol

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
A diluted hydrochloric acid is what I use, but not many have access to it. The only reason I have some lying around the house is b/c I'm a geology student and we use it to test rock types.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
So far:
ph gh
slate no effect no effect
black slate no effect no effect
granite no effect no effect
limestone
alabaster
lava rock
seashells raises
desert sand (some) raises
driftwood lowers

I know driftwood isn't a rock, but I just thought I'd include it. What do limestone and alabaster do to ph and gh, since you mentioned those?

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Lava rock is pretty much inert, doesn't affect anything.
Limestones and alabaster will raise pH and gh.

Where did you get your desert sand from? The source rock makes all the difference. For example, the White Sand Dunes Monument in New Mexico is eroded gypsum. The type of sand you'd want to use in an aquarium should be primarily quartz-based.