Light for a 29 gallon reef tank?

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
Hey everyone,
What are some of your recommendation for a good light? I am going to go "reef" eventually so I need something that the live rock and coral can grow off of. Web links to products would be cool.

I don't have a huge budget, as in hundreds of dollars, but I could toss a bill or a bill 50 max. the cheaper the better! haha

Let me know what you all think. I actually have a 400 watt Metal Halide with ballast but just figured it would be way to much for that small of a tank lol It puts out alot of heat.

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
I have found these 3;

Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife T5 HO Dual Lamp Light Fixtures

Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting Systems, Adjustable from 24-36 inches LED aquarium lighting LED aquarium light led aquarium lights Marineland LED Double Bright led for aquarium led aquarium moon aquarium led aquarium led moonlight led light

Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 2 x 24W - T5 - Saltwater - 30 in.

Or I could just take a gamble and replace my 400 Watt Metal Halid Light bulb. Its a gamble because I am not sure if the bulb is messed up or the ballast. The ballast boots up and the light comes on but after about 10 minutes of burning it starts to flicker very rapidly. Almost not enough to tell, but just enough to annoy you :mad: So, could either be the ballast or could be the bulb. The bulb is over a year old and it has a warped glass spot from a "hot spot" or something but it still ignites up and glows bright white'ish blue. I am worried if I get a new bulb ($80) I will put it in and find out 10 minutes later it wasn't the old bulb messed up, it was the ballast all along, woops there was a wast of $80 lol.
The Metal Halid puts out MAD HEAT also. That is another draw back. Right now, its about a foot and a half above the tanks water level hanging from the ceiling and it heats my tank up fast too, like 80 or even 85 Degrees Fahrenheit in 10 minutes. I always turn it off at that point. (I'm in trial mode with it now, just pulled it out of storage today.)

Well look at my options and let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
If its a double 24" you would be Ok to use it for a wide selection of corals. I have a couple lights from these people and have had great luck with them. T5 HO Fixture, Filter items in topdogsellers store on eBay! . I have the halide t-5 combo for my 40G reef/fish set-up. You do not really need the halide unless there is a specific coral you want that needs it. I changed all my t-5 bulbs it came with to the 18000K. I would suggest this unit with the 4 t-5 bulbs: 24" Metal Halide T5 HO Lighting Reef Marine Coral 346W | eBay .

Last edited:

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
Im not sure if these are the correct bulbs for a Saltwater tank but I bought the freshwater version of this light it IS fantastic.. only thing i dislike is the switches to turn them off are on the ballast and they sit down from the light... maybe a + for someone else
Features: only costed 64.90 shipped.
Dimensions - 23.50" x 7.50" x 2.15" (2.65" with brackets)
Extendable to 30" long max with bracket
Supports 4x 24W T5 High Output lamps
Supports 2x Bluemoon LED
Quick disconnect ballast
Individual power cords for each function
Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
Reflector
Acrylic splash guard
CE Certified
Package includes:
1x 24" T5 Quad fixture
2x 24W T5 HO lamps 10000K (Free Item)
2x 24W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue (Free Item)
2x LED(Free Item)

Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

these things work great for me.. they also come with a built in 2 LED night light... and the 2Led is actually 2 sets of 2 so its

They do come with the bulbs already so i thought it was a steal..
pretty.

Last edited:

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
KCMopar, that light is $170 though! :( I was looking for a light in the $100 range.

Out of the ones you all suggested so far I like this one the best for the price.
Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

So do you guys think this one is better than the ones I originally picked out in the first post?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I know its more, you dont need halide, I just love what it does for my tank!! That quad light will be great. I have a couple odyessea lights and have had great luck with them. I would go with the quad t-5 to be sure you have enough light. You can always only run 2 or 3 if 4 is to much. I have a 36" double on my 40g and I am going to upgrade to the quad because its not as bright as I would like it. I think a double would not be enough IMO, and the $65.00 price tag is awesome!!!

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I had this one on my 10G nano and it heated the water to much and wiped out a bunch of stuff the second day. I put it on the day I received it, after work at about 6PM so I didn't notice a temp increase by about 9PM when I went to bed but, the next day I get up, turned it on and went to work. When I got home my tank was almost 100% wiped out and at 93 degrees!!!! I think you may still have a problem with the 20G getting to warm with halide. I have only t-5 and t-8 on my two nano's. I have a 150W halide on my 40G and do not have any problem

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
If your gonna spend money on something, it's good to spend more now and get everything you would ever want instead of buying another light down the road. Look on ebay and craigslist for some used stuff. Aquarium stuff usually resells for a lot cheaper than what it was brand new.

se7en2686

Medium Fish
Jul 24, 2011
Richfield Ohio
All i have to say is the above light that i posted for 65 bucks. Ive had for 2 ish months, I bought it for my 29G planted but things happend its now on a 65Gallon Tall with another light. It is Cheap.. however it looks good. And as far as being cheap all it has to do
is Hold the bulbs in the housing. The Ballasts are external and easy to change if one would go out. I thought this was an easy choice for me. But again i dont own a Saltwater tank nor do i have ANY experience with them. hope you find a good Light soon :) lets
see some pics when you finish :)

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
Hey, thanks Se7en.
I definatly think the light you showed on the earlier post is the one I am going to go with. From what I have read for Saltwater you need the (T5 HO lamps at 10000K) and the (T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue) for Marine life to thrive. This light comes with 2X24Watts of both! The blue LED night lights are an awesome addition to, though you don't really need them I don't think, but I love having the "Night Light" glow to see in the tank after dark.

This is of course a low to medium lighting system. I wont be going reef for quite a while. I am just now staring out with my first "fish only" saltwater tank. Thats the light for me though bro. Thanks Again! *twirlysmi

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I wanna see pics when its up!!! I have both those type bulbs on my nano tanks, they work real good.
Any idea on the fish you want?? So many choices, makes my head spin. I decided I was only going to get reef compatible fish seeing I was sure I wanted the little button and mushroom corals at minimum. I have a Coral Beauty Angel that is one to be cautious with but it does OK.
Is your Oscar doing OK still?

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
If you are ever considering corals in the future, make sure whatever light you get now will be able to support corals. It will be a lot cheaper for you to bit the bullet now instead of buying multiple fixtures. Fish can be under any light, corals cannot. I'm not saying dont go with that 65 dollar fixture, just make sure that you get enough light for whatever you may want in the future.

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
Well I always have my 400 watt Metal Halid mentioned in the earlier post. But I wouldn't do any "high" light required corals for another year or so. Just keeping it simple :)

T.Shaw

Small Fish
Sep 20, 2011
Kansas
Hey thanks for asking KcMopar. He is doing great. All the tail rot seems to have cleared up about 2 weeks ago. His fins took some pretty severe damage but they are slowly growing back. He also has over come his internal parasite problems because his stools have turned back to normal brown instead of clear stringy goo HAHA. His colors have really improved as well. When he was sick, he turned a very light brownish color where he is normally black. From the stress I suppose :(. Hes been eating again too. Hes not quite as "food driven" as the 2 baby Lemon Oscars he is being housed with right now, but definatly an improvement. I expect him to make a full recovery within the next month or so.

I have definatly learned fish are very capable of overcoming illness. "All they need is time and the right water" *thumbsups
Ill try to get some pics of him on that Thread soon.

I will also get some pictures of the light as soon as I get it ordered and it arrives. *celebrate