Lets talk dream tanks

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I want a tank big enough to keep a magical leuropleodon, Charlie.
WE'RE ON A BRIDGE CHARLIEEEE!

@Fishman, I dread to think what effect they're having on the local ecosystem. The least cruel thing to happen to them would be their bright colours making them an easy target for predators, and they got picked off fairly quickly, I can only hope this is the case.

Feb 27, 2009
Could be worse. They could have been used as chum to catch other fish with.
That would have been a better fate. I hope they didn't survive to overtake the local ecosystem. But he did say:

They lived until we got rid of them in the local creek, now we have a steady population of goldfish :D
So it sounds like they did get established. And the climate where he lives, they can live year-round since they'll go to deeper water where it won't freeze.

Bah, done. Nothing anyone says will matter. And he wants to become a marine biologist? Once college classes start, perhaps he will learn that destroying a local ecosystem isn't worth a ":D" comment.

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
If it was Fishman's father that decided to do that, he probably wouldn't have had a say in their fate even if he had known better. Parents are also capable of doing some irresponsible things - sometimes out of ignorance of the long range consequences and as a kid you can do very little about it.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
How about MK AAk and Bass stop being pessimistic and blaming everything on me when Thyra is correct, i wanted to keep the pond but dad said no ANY i told him to take the fish back to the LFS but he said we'd just put them in the local creek. SO STOP BLAMING EVERYTHING ON ME AND BEING SO DAMN MEAN TO ME YOUR HURTING MY FEELINGS! I FEEL LIKE I NEVER DO ANYTHING RIGHT!!!!!!! :(

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Granted that you don't always listen to the good advice people give you, and I can see where that frustrates them, this one is sort of getting blown out of proportion. Yeah, it didn't sound like your fault, it also sounded like it was so long ago that no fighting on the internet was going to undo it, and I don't know why everyone chased you down about it after you didn't answer them. I can even see where you're 15 years old and you wouldn't see that it would upset the environment, and that you might even think its cool, and that's probably why you put a :D at the end of it. Probably the best thing to do is stop talking about it, and now you know not to do it again.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
Actually my idea is after i get the Java Moss from you in the mail, im going to leave the forum for good. No one here really likes me and seems that everything i do is wrong but if someone else does the same thing they pet them and tell them its okay, my prime example is Laura overstocking her tank and no one really fussed at her and when it crashed or something like that as i recall, everyone's reply is "Oh well it can happen to anyone" and when i overstock one everyone gets pissed and blesses me out. therefore i feel it best to move on and choose another forum where it seems people like me :D i wish you all the best of luck with your tanks

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Look kid. It's the same cycle every time. We try to help. We give you suggestions. You tell us you know what you're doing and we're all big meanies. Your plan doesn't work. We tell you how to fix it. You tell us you know what you're doing and we're all big meanies. You come up with another plan. We give you suggestions. You tell us you know what you're doing and we're all big meanies....and it goes in a big angry loop.

Your dad did something stupid. He put aquarium fish in a local waterway. Stupid is as stupid does. There's no reason to get mad over it.

TBH, I was done being nice when you called me an idiot for linking direct articles on German Blue Rams as symptomatic comparisons to the Bolivian Ram you purchased. I handed you information I thought might help your decision making and you crapped on it.

So whatever. Good luck with your fish.

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
No one's asking you to leave the forum fishman. The point of this forum is to ask advice, share experience, and discuss and debate all matters in the hobby. I happen to feel very strongly about the release of non-native fish into ecosystems so for me it drew an interesting point, as I'm sure it did for a few. I don't think I chased you on it, I just wanted to make my point, and to be honest you made it sound like you condoned your father's actions with dumping the fish, although I don't doubt you had very little to do with the actual decision.

You can't get defensive because someone's made a point you don't like. It's up to you if you leave, if you want straight-up, simple, educated advice I'd say stay, though we've been here a few times before haven't we?

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
LOL at AAK for "Big Meanies"

Fish, you have said you are leaving before and came back, do what you want stay or go.......But if you have questions you can always ask, someone will always try to help. The only other thing I can say is, as you get older there will be people who disagree with you, may even be big meanies. You will have to deal with that situation better. Also on a forum it is hard sometimes to figure out how someone is saying something. What I mean is, it can be taken in the wrong way.

I would suggest you stay and continue to learn.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Actually my idea is after i get the Java Moss from you in the mail, im going to leave the forum for good. No one here really likes me and seems that everything i do is wrong but if someone else does the same thing they pet them and tell them its okay, my prime example is Laura overstocking her tank and no one really fussed at her and when it crashed or something like that as i recall, everyone's reply is "Oh well it can happen to anyone" and when i overstock one everyone gets pissed and blesses me out. therefore i feel it best to move on and choose another forum where it seems people like me :D i wish you all the best of luck with your tanks
Fishman, there's a MAJOR difference between Laura's overstocking and your overstocking. The difference is that she did it with compatible fish. Your overstocking is usually done with completely incompatible fish. Also, Laura has A LOT more experience than you do. It's fine to overstock a little once you know what you're doing and know how to handle the water change requirements and all that of an overstocked tank. For beginners, it's asking for trouble. You've heard the saying "err on the side of caution"? Well, that applies especially to new fish keepers when they stock their tanks. Yes, it's easier for an overstocked tank to crash. But if you know what you're doing, use compatible stock and keep a firm hand on your parameters, you'll be fine.

I have to say, I have nothing against you, but it is extremely frustrating when you ask for our help, we try to give it, and you completely ignore it. It definitely makes people not want to help you anymore and you shouldn't be surprised if people get a little snippy (like when we've all said "You'll just do what you want anyway, so why do you ask?"). It seriously seems like you ask the same questions about stocking over and over again, then go out and do the complete opposite and come brag about it on here, just to irritate us. If that is the case, that's EXTREMELY childish and has no place on a forum (ANY forum).

Also, why are you jumping all over me for being mean to you? I haven't said a word to you in quite a while and from what I remember, I wasn't mean to you at all. I try to be constructive and help you, but you make it very frustrating when you don't listen. I very much resent the fact that you dragged me into this by saying that I was being mean to you and hurting your feelings when I haven't commented on anything you've said in a very long while.

One last thing...I too was appalled when you said your dad released those goldfish into the local creek. Yes, I understand that it was your dad that did it, but the fact that you were PROUD of it is what was so appalling. Even though you live under your parents' roof, you still should have the good sense to say something if what is going on in the house is illegal and/or will be detrimental to the environment. You should never be proud of ANYONE doing something illegal, whether they are your parents or not.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
I have to say, I have nothing against you, but it is extremely frustrating when you ask for our help, we try to give it, and you completely ignore it. It definitely makes people not want to help you anymore and you shouldn't be surprised if people get a little snippy (like when we've all said "You'll just do what you want anyway, so why do you ask?"). It seriously seems like you ask the same questions about stocking over and over again, then go out and do the complete opposite and come brag about it on here, just to irritate us. If that is the case, that's EXTREMELY childish and has no place on a forum (ANY forum).

Ditto!

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
Bass you just commented on the last page in a mean way. And i didnt BRAG about anything thank you, I am 15 not 35 i am just getting out in the world, how was i supposed to know that them goldfish would be bad? (even thou i still dont understand how) And I dont consider myself a noob because i know ALOT! i just sometimes come into conflict with my mother and father on what i need to care for my fish. My mother got mad at me when the brown algae grew on my tank and said it was my fault for putting bacteria starter in it, she said i shoulda just put the fish in it. She also doesnt like me doing water changes because it costs to much Aquasafe. I cant use the gravel vacume either because my tanks are in my room so that makes it even worse, thou im happy to say my Planaria issue is cleared up :D therefore i feel you cant blame me for what i do EXCEPT the buying of incompatiable species because that was my fault. I guess i wont quit the forum

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I don't know what you're smokin' kid, but I haven't TOUCHED this thread since page three. Go back and check. My last comment wasn't even regarding anything you said, I was commenting on someone else's post.

As for the whole being proud of what your dad did, I couldn't find the exact post, but you basically said that now you have a steady supply of goldfish in your local creek with a big ol' smiley next to it. That denotes happiness or pride in what you did. Why is it so bad? Need we go over this again? This discussion has been had many times on this forum. Introducing non-native species into waterways brings in competition for the native wildlife, who oftentimes can't compete with the introduced species and die off. Look at Arizona. Several species of chub and native bass have been killed off by introduced species like the striped bass.

I'm just going to get all this out right now.
1-You must be using too much AquaSafe if you're going through it that quickly. An $11 bottle of AquaSafe lasts me almost 6 months, and that's doing water changes on EIGHT tanks.
2-Why can't you use the gravel vac in your tanks because they're in your room? That just doesn't make sense. Not trying to argue, just saying it sounds like a weak excuse to me.

I'm not going to argue with you. I'm done. I'm tired of the temper tantrums and the second-guessing. Have fun with your fish-keeping, Fishman.