Lets talk dream tanks

Feb 27, 2009
They lived until we got rid of them in the local creek, now we have a steady population of goldfish :D
Fishman1995, why would you release a non-native species into a local creek???!!!

It is because of that type of behavior that many plants and fish for the aquarium hobby are banned in some parts of the world.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
If I ever do my backyard pond thing it's probably going to be more like a big tank burried into the side of a hill. I've always pictured it in my head with a lid on it, so I guess that solves the problem of cats, birds, children drowning and whatnot.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I've pictured my discus pond as being very large, being indoor under a dome, having bridges for topwater viewing, and having underground viewing windows(walls) for viewing the pond as a big aquarium as well. would be wicked :)

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
I was doing some more dream tank stuff last night, research and etc, for a saltwater tank, i got the fish i liked, went over to aqauadvisor, plugged in my dream 5318 gallon tank which is 12 feet long, 10 foot wide and 6 feet tall. Then i looked down at fish and i shook my head... NONE of mine i had picked were there. Sooooo i thought id bring it here and ask yaw. Im not worried about anything involving setting up, decor etc. my main questions are (1. Will a Tessalata eel or a Zebra Moray eel both reaching 5 feet in length try to or succeed at eating a Panther Grouper, Dragon Wrasse, Volatian Lionfish or a Russels Lionfish? (2. Will the Eel's have issue's being with the Lionfish considering they have 5 foot of Body to control and they may brush into the Lionfish? (3. What will happen if they do get stung? Is there a way i could medicate it so they wouldnt die or will they die?

Do you think the 2 Eel's will have enough room so that i maybe could add another species or two?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I was doing some more dream tank stuff last night, research and etc, for a saltwater tank, i got the fish i liked, went over to aqauadvisor, plugged in my dream 5318 gallon tank which is 12 feet long, 10 foot wide and 6 feet tall. Then i looked down at fish and i shook my head... NONE of mine i had picked were there. Sooooo i thought id bring it here and ask yaw. Im not worried about anything involving setting up, decor etc. my main questions are (1. Will a Tessalata eel or a Zebra Moray eel both reaching 5 feet in length try to or succeed at eating a Panther Grouper, Dragon Wrasse, Volatian Lionfish or a Russels Lionfish? (2. Will the Eel's have issue's being with the Lionfish considering they have 5 foot of Body to control and they may brush into the Lionfish? (3. What will happen if they do get stung? Is there a way i could medicate it so they wouldnt die or will they die?

Do you think the 2 Eel's will have enough room so that i maybe could add another species or two?

Yeah, there's almost no point in us advising here, it's simply a "dream tank" which has no real substance or promise of actually happening. You'd have to become the single most successful marine biologist in the world to afford the tank, running bills and house to fit it in. Fishman, I'd suggest working in a public aquarium when you're older.

This doesn't, however, pull me away from the comment you made on the previous page and I ask again, did you really release goldfish, a non-native and invasive species, into a wild habitat? Not only is it ridiculously irresponsible but also illegal, you will have completely upset the natural balance in that creek and probably obliterated some of the natural fish stocks living there.

To add to the topic over the page aswell which I seemed to have missed, we get herons quite a lot here, my pond's covered with a net with wide enough holes not to obscure viewing whilst still being very protective, suspended so amphibians/hedgehogs etc can get underneath and so a stabbing beak can't reach the water. Seems to work just fine. Cats have tried, and failed, to get in, as have foxes. The only predator we have seen to take anything was a magpie take a tadpole (which it clearly didn't like the taste of.. it spat it straight back out). It also helps that I have a golden retriever with serious territory issues who goes just about mental when any form of wildlife bigger than a blackbird gets in the back garden!

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I was at my LFS yesterday, and they had a 70 gallon tank. I'm not sure if this is the standard size for 70 gallons or not, but it had the exact same footprint as my 40 breeder. This got me to thinking. Maybe one day I'd like to take everything that's in my 40 gallon and transfer it into a 70, but only fill it up to where it had the same volume as the 40, but this way I'd be able to grow some floating plants or something?

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I was at my LFS yesterday, and they had a 70 gallon tank. I'm not sure if this is the standard size for 70 gallons or not, but it had the exact same footprint as my 40 breeder. This got me to thinking. Maybe one day I'd like to take everything that's in my 40 gallon and transfer it into a 70, but only fill it up to where it had the same volume as the 40, but this way I'd be able to grow some floating plants or something?
Like a paludarium?

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
I guess 5000 gallons was a lil bit overboard, but i could drop it down to 500 gallons and thatd be in range because i could do 160 gallons of space for the Tessalata eel, 160 for the Zebra Moray eel addding up to 320 gallons used and 180 not, which then i could do 2 Lionfish which would give each 90 gallons of space per each :D

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
I guess 5000 gallons was a lil bit overboard, but i could drop it down to 500 gallons and thatd be in range because i could do 160 gallons of space for the Tessalata eel, 160 for the Zebra Moray eel addding up to 320 gallons used and 180 not, which then i could do 2 Lionfish which would give each 90 gallons of space per each :D
Stop dodging the question about the goldfish!

And just FYI, your fish won't think "oh I've got x amount of space and the other fish has x amount of space". They'll take what territory they can.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
I know that MK :p but everyone has room for space. and yes Ryanoh if i added the eels when the Lionfish were still to young they would devour the lionfish cause i read about someone's tessalata eel doing that last night but if i added the Lionfish and let it get almost grown and then buy a small eel and let it grow up there should be an issue.

Fine MK, me and my father tore our pond out, put the goldfish in a 5 gallon bucket and dumped them over the bridge into the creek and they swam away. This was back in May or June