Lets talk dream tanks

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'd do a reef swimming pool and go snorkling in it.
The hotel in Kona, Hawaii, that we we are going back to this Christmas has a natural reef lagoon, just like a swimming pool. In low tide, the water is about waist-high, and so still and clear you can see the fish swimming around your legs - you don't even need a mask!

When I was a kid, I always dreamed of a freshwater tank big enough that I could go swimming in, filled with, yes, angelfish ;)

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
When I move out I'm dedicating my whole garage to my pets. It's going to be my "personal zoo". Of course it'll have an __thousand gallon pond. Forget the stupid car!

300-ish gallon tank
Thickly planted and perfectly aquascaped. A rock background with caves carved right in it!
Altum angels, discus, Bolivian rams, a huge school of odessa barbs (40-50), Royal pleco, a nice big school Sterbai cories (20)..

__thousand gallon concrete pond.
Lots of driftwood, lilypads.
Oscars, jaguar cichlids, midas cichlids, ropefish, arowana, rtc, ID sharks, Common plecos, probably some map turtles.

If any of you are interested in indoor ponds, check out monster fishkeepers. They have *tons* of indoor pond threads. I almost made myself a 500-ish gallon indoor pond, then I realized my mom probably wouldn't be too happy about me taking over her laundry room... or the living room...

I too would like an african cichlid tank. Hmm... there's that space underneath my paludarium..

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Oh, and I forgot the reef pond.. I don't know enough about sw **yet** to say exactly what kinds of fish. Too bad I'm so poor, otherwise I would already have SW tanks.

Oh, and I like the TV aquarium. I watch my aquariums so much more than tv, my mom often walks by and says "You know, you can't change the channel."

@fishman, I too want to be a marine biologist :) so does my friend. I'm a long ways off though..

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
What if....

You completely integrated your house with your pond/aquarium? Wooden indoor walkway over the koi pond to the bathroom. Sunken floor around a glass enclosure surrounding the living room. Fast water indoor river next to the laundary room. etc...

big54bob

Superstar Fish
Dec 20, 2006
On my office chair playing Runescape
In a perfect world I would have a 15x8x8 hahitat with with a 10x4x4 water area for a Male American Mink. With the mink I would have some cheap turtles(RES or Painted) and some colected natives(sunnies, bass, minnows(chubs), suckers, and carp). The mink would be fed froglegs, chicks, mice, prawn, fish filets, and crayfish.

In a realistic world prob a 90gal brackish for Violet, Knight, and Bumblebee Gobies, Fidler crab trio, Wild Sailfin Mollies, and Green Chromides.

Fishman1995

Superstar Fish
May 11, 2010
North Carolina
Aak ima get a stick after you if you dont hush lmao, now you got me wantin to make my house built around a HUGE 10 thousand gallon tank! I still got 2 more years of highschool Val and then im shooting for 6 years of college, workin on my scholarships atm :D if im a marine biologist i might can get an Aquarium built at my lab i work for for research, THAT'D BE AWESOME lol :D

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
One thing to keep in mind with out door backyard ponds are the predators you can do nothing about. We have neighbors that have a beautiful pond in a park like setting all landscaped, etc. A pair of eagles moved in. The pond is now fishless. Eagles do not scare easily and of course you can't shoot them. I had a defective fiberglass hot tub I got for next to nothing and we put it at ground level in our back yard. Snakes and herons were feasting on fish, but it was also a hazard for kids - toddlers were fascinated and we were always afraid someone would fall in - with the straight sides, even small dogs could not get out. We eventually decided bad idea and dug it up.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
As far as outdoor ponds.. yes- we have a man-made pond in our back yard that was stocked with rainbow trout for YEARS.. I remember learning how to fish in it when I was just a few years old... BUT the sandhill Cranes found it and it has been empty for the last couple years

Feb 27, 2009
I remember hearing that one of the better ways to protect a pond is the put a net over top of it.
That's what they do on the fish farm in Florida. I remember watching the wading birds line up all along the man-made canals on 'shipping day.' They bred gourami in the one I watched. The guy had all the fish in the center of 3 canals and had a bucket and a huge net (like you'd see cleaning out a pool). He'd scoop up a buncha fish, put only adult males in the bucket, and toss the females up on the grass to the waiting birds to eat. Every so often, he'd toss some females in the 1st canal (his breeding stock), and any juvies he found, he'd toss into the 3rd canal.

They nets were not 100% effective, so he also had several Australian Sheppard dogs that chased off the birds.

AquaticTim

Medium Fish
Nov 30, 2010
Wisconsin, USA
We can't shoot the cranes here in Wisconsin.. Although it is tempting.. Someday I would like to dig the pond out deeper and see if that helps at all, but am sure it wouldn't be a cheap excavation either.