Ishar's 20GH Planted tank

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Thanks guys :)

-BrotherlyFun- sorry to disappoint you, but my goal is to cover every inch of gravel I possibly can lol. My feeding area will be on the moss and glosso :).

Well yesterday I fed my fish a shrimp pellet for the first time in a LONG time... well.. they loved it! They went nuts! They finished the first one pretty quickly, so I dropped another one in and snapped some pics and shot two videos (my batteries died halfway through one of them :p). Here you are.

Videos- check out on the full one the colourign of the guppy fry- you can see the black bodies and the yellow tails :D. They are a mix of a blonde cobra male and a blue neon (she is sort of half black but the black is like purple) mother :D.
>Video where batteries die :p
>Full video- watch the fry

Pictures

Full tank shots I grabbed

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Update: February 8. '08

Ok everybody... I did another overhaul........ lol I know what you are thinking hahaha. I went and bought a big piece of driftwood and added it in. I had to rescape because of this, so this time I drew a plan and tried to follow it. I am glad I got such a big piece- it looks good IMO and it made for a much deeper gravel bed LOL. Here is the plan:

I followed it pretty closely actually, but with some differences, which is to be expected obviously. I like this as it puts together some Dutch with a bit of Amano's technique for covering the driftwood. I am also glad the half and half look of the moss and glosso is gone too. All of the plants but the bacopa get lots of light so that should help me propagate and fill my tank in. This Thursday my LFS is hoping to get a shipment of dwarf hairgrass in, so hopefully I will be able to put some in at that point. If I do that then I will be taking out the moss I think... but I don't know :p. I sort of like where it is right now.

I also added a simple black bristol board background. I think for a buck it looks pretty darn good hahaha.

So without any more delay, my tank lol. Hopefully it stays this way for a while hahaha.

Videos:
>Full tank scan
>Here is a good one of my bi-coloured fry

Pictures: I am going to try something new here...
>Left side lower part- anubias, glosso, rotala
>Left side high angle shot- anubias, rotala, vals
>Left side on angle- anubias, glosso, rotala, vals
>Left side upper part- rotala
>Right side straight- windelov, moss, bacopa

Full Tank Shots

I really want to know what you guys think here- any criticism welcome, and I would love to know if you like this better than the way it was last.

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well when I did my water change today I took out the bacopa. I kept any new shoots that were there but took out the four big stalks.. they were ugly with tonnes of bad leaves and it wasn't growing at all. So I threw them out and kept the babies. We'll see how they grow.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Moss Idea

Well I have had this idea for a long time but never had string or enough moss or wood to do it. Well now I had all three of those things, so I did it.

My idea was to attach Java moss in a single layer on some wood and have it grow right on the wood in a thing thin thin layer. I did a sort of criss cross pattern and then tied it the heck down :p. It is sort of in a poor spot, but it is trial run I guess you could call it- this way if it doesn't work out well it is in the back and won't be so obvious :p. But really the main reason was I didn't want to pull out my big piece :p. So anyways, we'll see how it goes.

-->Out of tank 1
-->Out of tank 2
-->In tank 1
-->In tank 2

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Update: February 14, '08

I GOT IT!!! FINALLY I GOT IT!!! :D:D:D:D

ahem...

Thanks Kissyboots :D. I did it to three other bare wood spots too so we'll see how it all turns out. I have pretty high hopes for it :D.

Now. What did I get you might ask? Dwarf hairgrass!!!! I have wanted this for how long? Well I finally got it. Now mixed with my glosso my foreground is complete. Interesting note for anyone considering growing glosso: it is a PITA to try to get to plant and root where you put it in Flourite. The gravel size is too big for the tiny glosso roots, and I have found that the glosso easily gets pulled out by my fish- which are just guppies. I think sand would be really good for it but it needs nutrients, so I guess something like flourite sand, or ADA sand or something. The hairgrass, on the other hand, was AMAZINGLY simple with tweezers. Oh my goodness. I could and did plant small groups of 3 leaves in one hole- three leaves is miniscule. It was great! I wish I would have spent more time and thinned it out even more than I did to get a good carpet faster. Maybe I will after spring break.

I think my midground is near completion as well with the anubias plants on the wood, all of that Windelov on that big piece of wood and then with the addition of the moss tied onto the wood in single layers. I am running out of room there anyways, so it better be done lol. As of right now it is a sort of big jump down from the background on the left and middle to the midground in that area. I have to work something out there, but I am not sure what to do- I am realizing that a 20G doesn't give you very much space.

The background is shaping up now too. I got three bunches of Val. Spiralis 'Leopard' (4 bucks, why not try another type of val? I'll be holding off on the Excel until it gets itself established so I don't melt it.) so if they grow in then I have what I wanted in the background- good thick rotala, the jungle vals and then mixed with some finer, thinner vals. I trimmed the tallest rotala stems by cutting off the top... taboo, I know, but it made my bunch much thicker and healthier looking, I figure by the time it gets full height no one will even know :p. The jungle vals were growing too but they have now stalled I think. The bacopa may grow out to be big enough for a background plant, but I am not sure- right now they are a little midground bunch to get light :p.

With the jungle val growth stalling on me I upped the ferts and have watched them, but with all the BBA and other algaes I think I am low on C02 and am considering setting up a second CO2 bottle... That's after this week (spring break :D).

I have been noticing lately that my fish are all at the surface at night. I realize this means no O2 for them as the plants are taking it all so I bought a Tetra Whisper air pump rated for 20G, with a 4" long airstone. This airstone gives me some big bubbles... I don't know if they all do but when my bubbles reach the surface there is enough force on them to like spatter my glass cover and some comes out of the tank... I don't want to turn the valve down too much as it says not to restrict the flow... I will tinker with it and see how it goes.

So, without further ado, I bring you the yet again redone tank lol.

Videos
>Bubbler
>Full tank sweep

Pictures
>Looking down on Hairgrass
>Looking down on Hairgrass #2
>Close-up of Hairgrass
>Center of tank
>Bubbler
>Rotala and Anubias
>Windelov and Vals

Full tank shots:

Please, by all means, give any and all thoughts and criticisms you have to me- no matter how harsh lol. I want to know how it is shaping up through other peoples' eyes as well as my own :).

Oh yeah- I also got a hitchhiker plant. It was in with the hairgrass, and I have no idea what it is lol. The LFS told me they got a shipment of Echinodorus tenellus at the same time, so perhaps it is some of that? I planted it so hopefully in a month we'll have a good enough sized specimen to ID. You can see it in the "Center of tank" picture posted above.

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well I had the bubbler on last night but the fish were still at the surface :confused:. Especially the fry (made it easier to see just how overstocked I am :p). It could have been from the water change though, as my water supply now has chloramine in it and thus I have a bit of ammonia that is going into my tank each water change. It disappears in a day or two though when the plants soak it up, so I am not worried about it. So I will have to maybe attention after reading week an see what happens.

Over reading week I will not be tending my tank at all, and since the break is only one week in length I am not training anyone to do so either. This means no ferts, my new vals might die off and litter the tank, a possible loss of CO2, the camellanus may take hold during that week (I doubt it. The meds are working like a charm :D), and since this pump is new I don't trust it yet. This means I will be leaving the pump unplugged and giving a double dose of ferts today. It won't even come close to making up for what I am not putting in, but I figure it will be good and useful to see how they grow without the full fert dose, so I can judge it. With any luck nothing will go wrong while I am away :).

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
I see what you mean, but it should only be temporary. Once the rotala gets taller and the glosso fills in and the jungle vals grow again it *should* even out for me. *Should*. :p

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
wow! a carnivorous plant underwater?! That would be so sweet! lol if you didn't mind your fish getting eaten :S hehehe. I wouldn't mind mine being carnivorous- I have WAY too many guppy fry right now :S.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
wow- that is pretty sweet :D Did you keep it?

Tank related news: I shortened my light period to ten hours for over the week I am gone, as I noticed A LOT of BBA on my smaller piece of wood, and I figure with no ferts and shorter light times maybe the plants can out compete it for the CO2 for the week I am gone. I will see the results when I get back and see how it worked. After spring break I think I am going to add another bottle of C02 to my tank and stop excel, and reduce my fert dosing again and then bring it back up to where I think the good level is. I will start at 0.5mL per day of both N and flourish to start, and each week I will see how the plants and algae faired and then adjust the ferts accordingly.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Good stuff...should be interesting to watch it fill in as the plants flourish! *SUNSMILE*
ishar said:
my water supply now has chloramine in it and thus I have a bit of ammonia that is going into my tank each water change. It disappears in a day or two though when the plants soak it up, so I am not worried about it.
Hmm...I wouldn't let it slide this easily...
Sure, the plants will absorb it eventually, but your fish will still be exposed to it in the meantime---and in fluctuating levels each time you do a water change. If I were you, I'd get me some Seachem Prime and condition the tapwater with it from now on. It will detoxify the ammonia by converting it to a less harmful state. The plants will still absorb it, and your fish should thank you for it as well.

BV

P.S. My tapwater also contains chloramine, which results in a 0.5 PPM ammonia reading. :eek:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Ammonia Review and Concern

Thank BV. The problem is that I have already spent money on regular conditioner and I don't think I have the receipt anymore and I would hate to buy more and not use the other. Sounds cheap, I know, but I guess it's how I feel :p. I am considering doing biweekly 5G w/c because this would decrease the levels of ammonia the fish are exposed to, but it would make them exposed longer.... not sure. I got this information from Chlorine, article "Chlorammine == Ammonia?"

The concentration of the released ammonia will be related to the concentration of the original chloramine. I can't remember the details, but the resultant concentration depends on whether you have mono or di-chloramine (NH2Cl or NHCl2); John Kuhns says it is likely the later. Anyway, the resultant ammonia concentration is something similar to the chloramine concentration. So, I think we are talking about 1 to 2 ppm (mg/l) of ammonia (to be diluted according to the % water change). For 50 % change you can have 1 ppm of ammonia. The amount of this that is toxic to fish will depend mostly on pH but also on temperature. (There is an equilibrium between toxic NH3 and non-toxic NH4). Worst case is high pH and high temperature.
At 8.5 pH and 86 deg, 20 percent would be toxic NH3 (~ 0.2 ppm). This is a
lot and roughly corresponds to lethal dose for 1-hr exposure. This does not
apply to all fish; goldfish can live in windex :)
I then, when looking for that equilibrium temperature, I found this site, Free Ammonia Calculator, and it asks for pH and ammonia readings. I do not have a pH test kit, so unfortunately until I get one I cannot know for sure.

I used the input of temperature = 25 degrees C as this is my tank temperature. I used an ammonia reading of .5ppm as that is what happens when I change my water. I then varied the pH to go in 0.25 intervals from 5 to 9, to make sure I cover the likely (and even not so likely) range pf pH in my tank. The calculator gave me these results as well as others:

# (pH); #ppm (free ammonia)
5 ; 0.000028432544659620436 ppm
6 ; 0.00028418000730272226 ppm
7 ; 0.0028273375624625605 ppm
8 ; 0.026904166723663372 ppm
9 ; 0.1812613343556084 ppm

I also created a graph of these findings so when I get a pH tester kit I can quickly guesstimate for myself what the free ammonia reading is. As you can see, the higher the pH, the higher the free ammonia levels, and the max, at a .5ppm total ammonia reading is less than .2ppm. This is a scary level, as is, for me, anything over .1ppm. The results can bee seen in the graph. I ran the series of inputs for a .25 ammonia reading but it is exactly half of the .5 reading (go figure :p).

NOTE: The graph uses a 30% error allowance that I add in later, as I am not entirely sure if I trust this calculator that much, as well as to allow for temperature fluctuations, especially during the w.c..

Having said this I am not too too worried about my fish. Mind you I keep a very good eye on them after the water change and if I ever see anything go wrong, I will get my butt down to my LFS to get some prime, or at least some ammonia neutralizer. Hopefully I can catch any behavioral anomalies like red gills, frantic breathing, surface habitation before any deaths occur- so far even the smallest of guppy fry and neon tetras have been fine.

Thank you for your concern BV- it spurred me to do some research and find out about this ammonia stuff. I am not using this and saying ammonia is ok, more as a guideline to know when I will really be in trouble, and to know that in general there is likely less toxic levels of ammonia in my tank than shown by my total ammonia test kit.

Attachments

Last edited:

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Oh wow.

That's all I have to say about my tank right now LOL.

I came home after a week of being away. While gone the fish were not fed and the light time was reduced by 2 hours I believe. Well.

CO2 ran out. My new vals and hairgrass had some slight dying off and uprooting respectively, littering the tank a little. My glosso also had a bit of uprooting- littering the tank a little more. My filter is somehow clogged (have not investigated yet) so not very much was getting moved around.

I have an entire tank covered in hair algae, diatoms, BBA, random plant fragments, and my filter outlet has long strands of algae of brown colouring with a bit of green too. My water is a little green as well.

Good news. Hairgrass is loving my tank, with new strands already and it's spreading, my glosso has taken off and is starting to form a bit of a carpet, my new vals are not quite dead (but the tips are- I'll be trimming). My old jungle vals, while not growing very tall, there are many new daughter plants around and all have some good growth down near the bottom half of the tank. Also the moss I tied thinly on the wood is loving that- lots of new growth and almost looks like Christmas moss :D. No fish or shrimp deaths either, with new fry looking very good colour wise.

So I am off now to get some batteries so I can snap some pics for you all- you will want to see this for sure haha.

I am not upset or worried at all. My java ferns are not liking whatever is growing on them (diatoms I think) but all my other plants are thriving, and the fish don't seem to mind either. I am looking forward to adjusting everything week by week to find the balance that the plants need :D. I will keep the front pane of glass clean for viewing but other than that I won't be touching a thing :D.

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
Well my batteries ran out on my cam and then I went to buy more... but either I was sold two packages of bad batteries or somethin' is up with my camera :(. So I snapped some laptop pics- I need to clean this tank, so I couldn't wait for more batteries or for my camera to fix itself. I hope they get the idea across.

You can't tell from the pictures, but my rotala has grown almost an inch, my bacopa has also grown quite a bit, my grass has spread, my glosso has spread, my fern is not liking whatever algae is on it, and my new vals are melting a bit with the old vals spreading like mad. The small piece of wood is COVERED in BBA, and my glass is COVERED in hair algae and some normal green spotty stuff.