I have molly fry please help!

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Most people have a seperate tank where they raise their fry. It really is good to put the fry in a glass jar because there is no form of filtration or heat maintenance. And to answer your question Brandx, it's most probable that the mother ate some fry. At least I know my platy mom ate her fry. I didn't see it myself, but it probably happened.

Fishgallore: great jobs on raising that fry. I'm happy for you because I know how hard it is to keep the fry alive and getting eaten. I only have 3 myself.

I could be wrong on all this information because both of your have molly fry. I have swordtail-platy fry. They're both livebearers, but there could be some differences.

:eek: well I hope mine are ok ... just had babies ... in same tank feeding them lots and well theres lots of hiding spots!

I think they should be fine. The big white rock is now in the 40g but the rest is the mostly the same. The back right rocks arent like that anymore instead i have 1 large one across 2 others making a tunnel ... cool looking!

Last edited:
Hehe MY BAD!!!! I should have waited for Nemo to develop more before determining the gender LOL

Nemo is in fact a boy!!!!

He is doing very well indeed and he is now big enough to put in with other fish and he has been bunking with my 4 guppies Tarryk, Chaimera, Lykeios, and Veldron. They've become good friends it seems and are cohabiting famously.

I'll post pics soon of little Nemo. I can't really be sure what type Nemo is yet but he looks as though he may turn out to be a Creamcicle Molly as he is VERY orange. . . .which is weird as the mollies I have are black and silver. . .
Perhaps Jaru is not the father after all. . . the only thing I can think of is that one of my other fish are the father. . .which means Nemo is a crossbreed of some kind. . . the other livebearer males that were in the tank at the time were a Platy and 3 Guppies. . . the Platy being orange of course.

What do you guys think?

brandi

New Fish
Jun 28, 2006
food for molly fry...

hey, I have 120 baby molly fry... I just use the same flake food I use for the adults except I put it in a ziplock bag and crush it for about 10 mins until it is almost powder... seems to be working they are all now between 2 and 6 weeks old and only have lost 4.
hope that helps...
Brandi

Aug 31, 2006
Can a platy and a molly cross breed?

brandi said:
I have had some cross breeds b4 and they were molly/guppies and molly/platys they aren't as nice looking but it happens I guess.
Could the male guppie breed with the molly? Can a platy & swordtail crossbreed? Platy/Molly - Yahoo! Search Results
*Question:* /Can a platy and a molly cross breed? Could the male guppie breed with the molly? Can a platy & swordtail crossbreed? Platy/Molly Mix.../..PlattyxSwordtail cross? Can Mollies and Platies cross-breed? Is it possible for a Platy to cross breed with a Silver Molly? Swordtail platy interbreed? Can anyone tell me if you can cross breed Platy's, Guppies and Mollies ... I think uncle scott actually mentioned a molly/guppy cross a few weeks back.../

Fish Answer*Answer:* The general rule of thumb here is fish breed only within there species. That being said, platies and swordtails are so very closely related they will often cross breed. As far as mollies are concerned they only breed with other mollies. Guppies are the same way they stay with in species and do not crossbreed. Mollies and Platies do not breed togther, I have never seen any evidence of this happening. They are in two different geniuses, so it would take a lot of work in the lab to artificially cross-breed them.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2006
Nashville, Illinois
Fish can breed within their own genus. Mollies and guppies can breed, and platies and swordtails can breed. Don't think for one second that a male guppy won't mate with a molly. Male guppies are relentless and will mate with anything that looks like a guppy. This includes other male guppies in the absence of females. As far as I know, mollies or guppies, and platies or swordtails, may mate but will not produce hybrids.

sassie

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2006
To: FISHIESGALLORE

This is for FishiesGallore...
I have the same fish that you have in the picture under your screen name!!
What is it?
Is that my guppy? (one of them)..do you know what it is called...we named him/her "drago"..because my 6 yr old son thinks his/her tail looks like a dragon's tail!!!
Thank you,
I look forward to hearing back from you,
Sassie:)

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
sassie said:
This is for FishiesGallore...
I have the same fish that you have in the picture under your screen name!!
What is it?
Is that my guppy? (one of them)..do you know what it is called...we named him/her "drago"..because my 6 yr old son thinks his/her tail looks like a dragon's tail!!!
Thank you,
I look forward to hearing back from you,
Sassie:)
Well, I can tell you that the fish in FishiesGallore's avatar is a fancytailed male guppy. They are very pretty. I have one I call Firefly, his tail is dark red with black spots and his top fin is a sky blue. Most of his body is black except for the blue and red spots that are typical for a guppy.

NoTank

New Fish
Aug 13, 2007
Mid Nebraska
My Mollie is a Molly!!! Fry must mean babies?

Lots of info in the sticky at the top of the forum: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17554
Trust me, I will be going there. My first post was to the forum of Freshwater, or something like that. (You can find it on my profile.) So, one of my questions was why is my Mollie wiggling so much? Some one told me to check out the Livebearer's Forum. Hellooo!!!! Yes, I think she is giving birth as I speak!!! She is in a vase with a plant. (Long story - read posts from my profile). Anyway, I just got this fish yesterday. And now I think I am an OB nurse to fish. She is now wiggling all the time, and there is something hanging out (does not look like the poo that she pooed in the bag when I brought her home. No, I didn't know if she was a she until now.) I read about pinching up food flakes. I am giving this thing a whirl, and may have fish to give away. My nephew may be getting one sooner than his Mom would like.
Ha ha ha ha. Not my intention to get into a fish nursery.
Oh, well. Thanks for all the info so far - it has been great.
No Tank*laughingc

NoTank

New Fish
Aug 13, 2007
Mid Nebraska
Mollie didn't have fry.

Thank you all for being so nice. I bet you all had a good laugh about my Mollie pooping. OK, my Mollie didn't have fry. I just want you all to know that I have found a good home for her, a large tank with mates and a good caretaker. I will be getting a beta which was the original plan. I am so grateful for all of your help. Thank you again.
No Tank*DRUMMER*