How to feed a starving bottom feeder

Aug 23, 2011
I have 2 clown loaches, a kuhli loach, albino cory doras catfish, and a rainbow shark. Whenever I try to feed my fish all of the top swimmers and mid swimmers eat the food before it gets to my bottem feeders. My larger clown loach lays on its side, has sunken eyes and sunken body, and breaths rapidly. What can I do to keep him from dying when he can't find the strength to swim to the food? I really need answers quick because my loach is about to die.

Respond soon,
Craig

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have heard of people using a turkey baster. Also there are algae wafers available and there are also granules that sink. I have heard that clown loaches do lay around on their side by choice. I have no recent experience with that though, seems like my kids had one that did that.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
At night. Turn off the lights so the tank is dark, then drop the food (sinking type) in a corner so it will sink straight down. This way most of the food will make it to the bottom. This is how I have to feed my cichlid tanks other wise my pleco's do not get to much food. You can do this in the morning as well before you fire up the lights.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I feed my bottom feeders at night and like KcMopar I drop in a pellet (of sinking food) in the corner of the tank after I turn the lights off.
I usually give it a few minutes after I turn off the lights before I drop the pellet, because my other fish are active whenever I approach the tank.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I feed my bottom feeders at night and like KcMopar I drop in a pellet (of sinking food) in the corner of the tank after I turn the lights off.
I usually give it a few minutes after I turn off the lights before I drop the pellet, because my other fish are active whenever I approach the tank.
LOL, mine do the same, so I hold the can of food at the opposite side of the tank as I reach across to the back left corner where I have a hole cut. At the same time the pleco is heading that way because he knows what is going on. I have had him a few years, he even lets me pet him.