how to adjust pH and total alkalinity levels

Nov 10, 2009
i recently tested my fish tank because it was looking cloudy. the pH level was at about 8.4, i was wondering if anyone had a good way of getting that level down to a neutral measurement. my alkalinity test also came up as high. if you have any ways for me to be able to control this, that'd be great

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Best way is not to. If you monkey around with the ph level, you'll end up having sick and dying fish from the inevitable ph swings. It's a touchy thing. Your fish will adapt to the water conditions just fine. What kind of fish do you have? Some types prefer hard, alkaline water.

If this is a relatively new tank and the cloudiness is whitish, congratulations -- your tank is doing just as it should. The cloudiness will clear on its own after a week or a bit longer, and your tank will be much better able to handle the fish waste products than it was before the white cloudiness.

The three things you need to be testing for are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. These are the three factors most essential to keeping fish alive.

If the cloudiness is green, your tank may be receiving too much light, and you may be overfeeding. These factors can contribute to an algae outbreak. Cut the light and do regular partial water changes, and cut back on the feedings. Also, vacuum your substrate well.

If it's a brown cloudiness, your water may just be dirty. Do a good-sized water change and be sure to vacuum the bottom well.

When you do water changes, just be sure to dechlorinate it and match the temp carefully, within two degrees.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
how longs it been since you started the tank?
If it hasnt cycled yet, do some frequent water changes, and monitor those three important parameters. the danios should be ok, but the guppy and certainly the gourami are in trouble if its still cyling.

DarkLies

Large Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Louisiana
I'm sorry :(
They will be greatly missed
I had my alkalinity and pH levels through the roof yesterday so I did an almost 100% (more like 98.7%) water-change and all of my fish are fine.
Maybe if the levels go up again you can try a really large water-change and putting some more stress-coat in than normal?
Best of luck!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you could try experimenting with RO/ distilled water in combo with tap water to try and soften your water up. i dont recommend doing this with living fish in the tank tho, cuz it might actually swing your pH to lower levels much faster than needed.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Guys, stick to the basics to keep your fish alive... ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate testing.
Get these under control, and then you can look into the other stuff... I'm telling you, you don't need to worry about the rest of it until you master this most basic fishkeeping skill.