How Much GRAVEL?????

Feb 17, 2003
california 626 area
Visit site
I was curious. how much gravel should i put in the 90 GAL fish tank? I'm going to get some gravel to start my cycling. can i put the low/medium lighted plants in with the gravel before i start the cycling or should i wait for cycling to start for a couple days and then put the plants in?

Okay how much gravel for a 90 gallon tnak i would get probably about 110-120 lbs of gravel so it's atleast 2-3 inches high?

Do you know what laterite is you could get that to becuas eit will help you'r plants!!

Don't put the plants in for lets sya about 3 days so we know all the chlorine is gone okay

and better gravel i'd have to say Natural colored gravel, becuase bright colors can cause stress, but it's you'r decision

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
i agree with most the stuff p-lvp except that fish do not care about gravel, it is best to have something either int he tnak on teh bottom or right under it on the bottom like paper, fish dont like to feal threatened from below by not being able to see, yes they will live fine in a bare bottom tank as for breeding and such, but if actually keeping fish id say do something for the bottom

Oct 22, 2002
Edmonton
photos.yahoo.com
Sorry if we are confusing you!

If you are planning on having plants, a good substrate is necessary. Your substrate should have laterite or flourite mixed it with gravel or you can just use flourite by itself.

Some plants require a good substrate because they get their nutrients thru their roots. Other plants a good substrate may not be necessary as they get their nutrients thru the water column. This is where fertilization is required.

Depth of the substrate is sometimes depend on the plants also. Sword plants grow large root systems and it is recommend to have around 3"-4" of substrate. In any event, I would make at around 3" and sloping to the back to around 4".

Having a bare bottom tank, refer to as bb, is easier to keep clean. These tanks are generally used for breeding and growing out fry where cleaniless is essential as there is no place for bacteria to culture, uneaten food and feces to decay.

cholula

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
fish.arehere.net
I would get some Estes fine sand and layer
the bottom with a cm or less. Then I would
put in asian root wood or some sinking wood
and attach java fern to it.....

I like my tanks to hold water not gravel.

~ just my 2 cents