how full to fill tank

Jun 22, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
www.bairen.net
Help, please! I bought my first ever new tank last night, for my 3 kids. How close to the top should I fill the water? It is a 20 gallon tank with a Penguin 125 Bio Wheel filter. The water either sounds noisier than I expect when it falls into the tank (plop... plop) or it splashes the back of the lighting fixture. I am afraid to have it too full or too empty.

Thanks for the help for this newbie!

John

Paul

Large Fish
Jan 3, 2003
Mass
Visit site
Leave about the frist 1/2 inch from the top empty. Some people leave more, some leave less. For your filter I'd say just start out with the 1/2 inch, and play with it from there to see what works best for you.

May 19, 2003
Visit site
YUP, its up to you. Maybe you like the running water sound, thats fine, but WILL leave mineral deposits on the light and top of the tank where there is not water.

I personally fill it up past the black ledge where the top of the water is not visible. This is at about the outlet to the bio-wheel filter system. Makes no sound, but still nicely agitates the water for maximum oxygen.

You can't really overfill a tank until it spills over the edges. Mine is to the point that if i stick my arm in to move a plant or rock or something, some waters comes over the edge....

Up to you, but that tricklign water and white deposits get annoying so i'd go just above the black strip at the top. It also looks better, IMO, when viewing the tank, if the top of the water line is invisible.