Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

High pH - How can I lower?

Discussion in 'FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions' started by Cammie, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Cammie

Cammie Large Fish

Hi,

I've been testing (with my new testing kit - thank you for the advice everyone!) and Amonia, NitrAte and NitrIte are all fine but the pH is about 8.0.
    Not great for guppies.
    I have been doing regular (weekly) water changes. How do I lower the pH?
    Could it be my water supply? Should I use bottled water and then treat it?
    Thank you very much and also this is such a great forum for us Teenie Weenie Fish, so thank you for everyone's help and advice, it has has helped me so much*twirlysmi

Portia x x x x x x x

2. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Superstar Fish

I wouldn't worry about it IF the pH at the store you got them from is the same as your pH (call them and ask). The fish have already acclimated to the higher pH if the store's pH is the same as yours, so to lower it would be stressing them out and (from what I understand) could possible do more harm than good.

3. Cammie

Cammie Large Fish

Great, thank you x x x x

4. Doomhed

Doomhed Large Fish

you do far more damage by trying to change PH than you do by adapting fish to your PH.

5. Newman

Newman Elite Fish

100% agree. guppies will be fine at 8 pH. just make sure you acclimate any new ones from the store Properly. long, proper acclimation will ensure a smoother transition. the ones you have already (assuming you got them a long time ago) are already used to the water and would probably get sick or die if you were to lower the pH quickly...
    just keep using your tap water and keep treating it with water conditioner, and dont worry :)

6. Cammie

Cammie Large Fish

Woo hoo! I'm finally getting all the levels right and everyone is settling in just nicely!
    They are so lovely to watch, it's amazing how much time you waste by just staring at them.
    My guppy who had the fin rot (now just a tiny strip at the bottom remains of his tail and a little bit if his back is flaky) is still going but seems to stay in one spot and looks like his side fins are going overtime to keep him moving. Will his tail grow back at all? I'm worried he is going to get exhausted, is there anything that can be done?

Thank you x x x xx

7. PJRUSHM USAF

PJRUSHM USAF New Fish

Good evening..

Depending on your fish, your looking for a pH level of 7.0, but you probably already knew that.. I use this stuff called "Proper pH 7.0" its made by API. Its a white powder. I dumped it in and waited a few min for it to circulate then I used my test strips and it gave a perfect reading of 7.0. It auto-corrects your pH whether it is above or below the norm. I got this at Petsmart. And i recommend all the API products, they work wonders for my fish. Hope i was helpful to you

8. OrangeCones

OrangeCones Elite Fish

In my opinion, unless you are breeding fish that need a specific pH, there is no need to add pH adjusters. Swings in pH are far more stressful to a fish than finding the 'perfect' pH. Fish will adapt to a pH that is kept stable.

9. Doomhed

Doomhed Large Fish

PH changing chemicals are essentially a scam to get people to spend money. If you actually wanted to change your PH you are better off using natural methods than dumping pure chemicals into your tank and shocking your fish with drastic changes.

And perfect PH does nothing if you have high GKH.

10. sombunya

sombunya Large Fish

After going that route two years ago I have to agree. Unless you are breeding fish, forget about it.

11. no.1chuy

no.1chuy Large Fish

i have to agree too.... those ph adjusters are just a waste of time, money and maybe a few fish.

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!