Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Help on Platies?

Discussion in 'FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions' started by AliAndHerFish, Oct 9, 2016.

1. AliAndHerFish

AliAndHerFish New Fish

(This is my first post on MFT so bear with me!)
    Hi everyone,
    I have recently won a goldfish at a fair and have him in a 12l tank, he is about 4cm long and I plan to upgrade to a 24l very soon. In spring next year I am going to put him in the pond with my other goldfish, (I would have done this sooner but as the weather is getting colder I didn't want the shock to kill him and also he has little fat reserves so might not survive the winter). Therefore next year I will have an empty 24l tank and I'm not sure what to put in it.

I was wondering if having 4 platies would be alright, and if so, would having 2 females and 2 males be okay? I have also heard that shrimp and platies can live together so if I was to get shrimp as well, what type and how many should I get?

Thanks! :)

2. Platy lover

Platy lover Small Fish

Sorry but no, you couldn't. The only fish you can keep in that size tank would be a Betta. If you wanted to keep both genders as well you'd need 1m-2f ratio. But I honestly don't suggest females as they give birth to 50-100 fry every month for 6-12 months after their last contact with a male. I'd do daily or bi daily water changes as a 6g is really small for a goldfish.

Emily85 likes this.
  3. AliAndHerFish

AliAndHerFish New Fish

Okay I might think about getting a betta then, I only suggested platys because I was going by what the person at the pet shop said. Thanks for your response :)

Platy lover likes this.
  4. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Superstar Fish

Yep, even if you were to bring 2 female platys home from a store, often times one or both of them would be pregnant already and that's far too small a tank @ ~6gal.

I hear you on the carnival gold fish! I've pleaded with my kids to not do that to me. LOL. I do have a beautiful orange comet that was brought home by one of my kids. It's 3yrs old and about 6" long. Lives in a 55g along with 3 fancies.

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!