Help me please!! White, stringy poo and not eating...

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Hey guys!
I recently purchaced an adorable silver fantail goldfish from walmart (big mistake I know, I never try to buy my fish from chain stores but it was a brand new shipment and he looked super healthy...ya ya, no excuses...) and now somethings wrong! Terribly wrong :( He won't eat at all.. he tries to but then spits it out (hint #1 something was amis) and I found the biggest, stringiest, most discusting poo EVER in his tank!!! Ahhhh!! Maybe internal paracites? if so, I have jungle paracite clear on hand...(for both internal and external paracites)

Also, My tank set up is 10 gallons with a 2 inch red cap oranda and a female guppy. Sponge filter, bubble stone, gravel, plants...all in check. Although I don't think any of this has anything to do with his problem...my Red Cap has been getting along swimmingly ever since I got her.

I would SOOOOO appreciate any advice from you guys! Thanks!

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Uh oh....that doesn't sound encouraging...

Also, I am into guppies as well, I hope whatever this mysterious thing is won't pass to my female if they are in the same tank... OR MY RED CAP! Should I take them out to prevent his problem from spreading???

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Alrighty, thanks..unfortunately I don't have a big one, just a 1 1/2 gallon jar i use in emergancies, and that stresses them. His behavior seems normal, but i'm worried about the not eating part. Oh and there are no unusual lumps on his body as well.

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Yeppers, Ive got that in there already...but thanks. It's like he's hungry, he zooms up to the food, sucks it up, then makes a face and spits it out. I tried peas but got the same reaction. Don't wanna loose him...or my other fishies...

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
may have some throat infection, i am just spit balling here so no idea really. try blanched spinach, boil till the spinach/roman lettuce goes soft and gooey, cool it under water and float it attached to string or aquarium clip if you got, watch all go mad eating it.

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
I'm boiling the lettuce right now...it smells a little unapatizing :b Thanks for the tip, maybe tempting him with a delicious snack will encourage his apitite.

I just got him three days ago...maybe he just isn't settled in yet, and thats what I'm hoping for *crossed fingers*

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
you have no idea how crazy they go for this dish. (same with blanched deseeded cucumber, brocolli ) . this is old video of my goldfish pair YouTube - Goldfish going crazy for blanched spinach

Boil just for 4-5 mins max, it should start breaking from veins when boiling.

BTW your goldie is probably assimiating, fat and healthy ones can go week without food, so no need to panic really. Good luck. :) let us know.

Last edited:

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Sigh...
I was afraid of that. No, i don't really have many meds on hand, but maybe a salt bath??
I'm just as clueless...But thanks for all your help. I'll keep you all posted...

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
I fed the lettuce and same story. He races over all excited, chews it for a while, then PHUT! spits it out. My red caps a little piggy though - she's all over it :b

I did a little research and found out that if the infection isn't too serious good water quality for a while might help him get better, so I'm not panicking anymore..

Today is Saturday, so for me that means 40% water change...I'm hoping this will clear up after a while.

One more thing, are throat/gill infections contagious to other fish?

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
from what i have read, infections are never contagious but if any bacteria/virus starts hosts on that infection, then it will populate and send eggs in water and then other infection spreads . ICH does this. so its always recommended to keep sick goldie or fish in hospital tank, that way you need less meds and easy to keep changing clean water and warm it etc.

otherwise you can keep the water warm and clean in main tank, does good to everyone.

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks, anshuman.

I did a 40% water change yesterday and good news! My fishy Sterling seems to be much improved. He ate some boiled lettuce and fish food and now the redness on his chin seems to be going down. (I put a higher concentration of salt in the tank to prevent it from getting worse or spreading, and I vacuumed the gravel thouroghly.) Not only that but he seems to be more active and less lethargic, for which I am relieved :) He also passed a regular stool.

Thank you so much for all your help, and thanks for the welcome!

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
WUHOOOO LETTUCE DID IT...... HI FI...Hi fives everywhere.

Actually lettuce makes goldfish healthy , they not only perk up goldfish but sooth goldfish digestive system, throat , intestine. The manufactured pellet food is too intense on nutrient factor (because goldies have no stomach, intestine is not efficient absorber of nutrients, so need high-nutrition food) but stress the intestine.

Green veggies are easy on digestive system, it de-stresses them. weekly green veggies will keep your fishies healthy.

Your goldie will recover. Keep changing his diet. with dry tubifex, dry bloodworms, pelets and then greenies, prevents malnutrition, makes then healthy. :) I must stop now , i can go on and on regarding goldfish :D.

let us know for any trouble. :)