Guppy female has issues!

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Hey guys!
My female guppy has been pregnant for at least 5 weeks, and has still not given birth. I'm worried because every night I put her in the breeder trap, and every morning still no fry. The batch of fry she is holding right now is really important to me, so I want to stay on the side of caution by doing this. I have 2 goldfish and I know beyond a doubt if she had them in the main tank they would eat them in two seconds.
The sire of this brood died right after breeding I believe, quite a loss....he was gorgeous. It seems like every time they breed the males die. Is this normal?
When I put her in the trap, she FREAKS OUT. She smashes herself into the wall and her eyes turn a dark violet color...not good. Her gravid spot is huge, but she is getting sort of thin because she hasn't eaten for 4 days.
Question one: How long can she go without eating?
Question two: Has a female guppy ever been pregnant for more than 5 weeks?
Last question: Why are all my guy guppies croaking after breeding?!

Any info would be of great help :)

Feb 27, 2009
The stress of being captured and put in the small breeder trap could cause her to reabsorb the fry or abort them. If she is freaking out that much, her life and her unborns' lives are in jeopardy, especially if she is not eating.

Keeping cold and tropical fish in the same aquarium is not a good idea.

No, it is not 'normal' to have a male guppy die after mating.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What sized tank do you have and what are the fish (type and numbers) you are keeping in the tank?

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Setup: 10 gallon, sponge filter, air stone, gravel, heavily planted, heater set at 72 degrees F, 40% water change once every week, two 1 1/2 inch fancy goldfish and about 3 gallons divided off for some maturing fry. I know its crammed right now but it's only temporary until I get a new tank.
One female guppy, the one with problems, kept in a breeder trap. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite 0. Tank was just cleaned - I always keep premium water quality even during the week because I know how nitrates/trites can accumulate with all these fish.

Why is it bad to keep goldfish and guppies in the same aquarium? I've never had a problem with it for about 8 months.

It is possible she aborted them bcuz shes so freaked, and I know I've been stressing her out putting her in and out of the trap. I just didn't want to loose the fry...

What happens when she aborts her fry? Do they just self destruct inside of her or are they born and then re-absorbed? I've never had that happen before so I don't really know how that happens.

Feb 27, 2009
Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite 0. Tank was just cleaned - I always keep premium water quality even during the week because I know how nitrates/trites can accumulate with all these fish.
How are you testing the water (what kit and method)?

With a tank so overcrowed, there should be SOMETHING of ammonia, nitrite and/or nitrate if the tank has been set up for 8 months.

Why is it bad to keep goldfish and guppies in the same aquarium? I've never had a problem with it for about 8 months.
Goldfish are a coldwater fish best kept in temperatures from the mid 60s to low 70s. Guppies are tropical fish and are best kept in the upper 70s to low 80s.

The fact that your males keep dying indicates that there are unresolved issues in the aquarium, so it would be hard to say that you have 'never had a problem' keeping them together.

Goldfish need 20 gallons for one, and another 10 gallons for each additional fish. If you have 2 in a 10 gallon, plus the female guppy, plus fry (guppy or goldfish fry?), the tank is very overstocked.

Try this link for help on proper stocking:

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Agreeing that there should be some reading of nitrates in a cycled tank. This, in my opinion, is the most likely cause of your fish loss.

Perhaps when you began stocking 8 months ago, your tank was not fully cycled and hasn't had a chance to do so with the water changes. Goldfish are a hardier species than the fancy guppies so it does not surprise me that they have survived longer than your guppies.

If I were you, I'd wait on trying to breed the guppies until you have that new tank. (For a few reasons).

When you ARE ready, you won't need a breeder box. There will be lots and lots of fry that will not get eaten. After all, they WANT to survive and you say that the tank is heavily planted which provides plenty of hiding spaces.

It may work out better for you to just let her give birth and try to round up the ones that don't get eaten (without removing them from the water of course).
Survival of the fittest. You will have plenty of fry! :rolleyes:

Keep reading up on this hobby, and you will see success.

Good luck.:)

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Yes, I know my test isn't very accurate because I am using the tester strip. Right now my budget is pretty low so I'm saving up for a very accurate tester, but in the mean time I'm using what I have on hand and you guys are probably right...there is probably a reading of nitrate, but the strip isn't very precise. Anyway, Orangecones,
The male guppies that have died were dying before I had the goldfish, not after. That is why I was suspicious...
I know my tank is REALLY overstocked right now. Yes, I'm horrible :( I will probably switching to a guppies only tank once I get things sorted out with all these fish. I don't want them to be uncomfortable in a tank that's not good for them. Oh, and the fry are guppy fry of course. :p I could probably never spawn goldfish haha tank is way too crowded and I know it.
So should I just place her in the main tank again for good, fry or no fry? I want to try to de-stress her, but I'm just worried that now she's finally calmed down in the box it would only make things worse to put her back again :(
Thanks guys for all your help!

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Sooooooooooo I put her back in the main tank. I had to risk it, cuz I knew for sure she would literally die from stress. It seems to have helped, a little anyways. Unfortunately, I'm afraid she has some mental issues...very sad. :( she lost her hubby and I know that made her depressed, crazy as it sounds I think she had an emotional attatchment to him. They were litterally joined at the fin.

Fortunately, I think she may give birth yet...but definately NO breeder trap for her. She's stayin in the tank, fry eaten or not. Don't wanna make her suffer again.

I took out the tank divider and am now letting the fry swim around with the goldfish. Surprisingly, both parties ignore eachother. And now the goldfish have waaaaaaaaaay more room to swim. :D so yays!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Ohhhh ya thats a good idea. Forgot about that haha. And um well...she's paranoid - scared of her own reflection, paces constantly back and forth across the tank, flinches at every movement and ferociously attacks food like never before. Well the last part was good I guess considering she wasn't eating. I think it's all a result of alot of trauma, but hopefully with time and no more breeder trap she will be a bit happier. I've seen this kind of stuff once before when a betta of mine underwent depression after being separated from his lover after spawning. He calmed down but it took a while.

Goldiegupp

Medium Fish
Jun 11, 2010
Haha I think so. But maybe I'm just kooky :p I looked in the tank this morning, and all the fry were gone :eek: but as soon as I put some food in, it was like a wave of guppies raced up to the surface *phew*. She's still looking very plump, so hopefully she could still have a late arrival..but even so SHE'S STAYIN IN THE TANK. Thanks guys :) keep ya posted.

one thing that i would like to add is that even if she has these babies in the main tank and you lose them all, sure its a great loss but the clever thing females guppies can do is store sperm from the male that she has mated with ready for the next lot and can have 4 spawns from one breed! so there is still a chance to have the males offspring. i would much rather her her and ensure her health and wait for her next spawn.