Gravid Spot - Mollies

Apr 3, 2006
Does anyone know how long it takes for the gravid spot to become visible. My molly is white if that makes a difference.

Any Info Would Help

Thanx

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Well I have some fry from MOsbourne that I believe are a few weeks old and I can see a gravid spot on one of them, so I would assume pretty soon. It's not as easy to see in mollies as it is guppies, at least not for me. Once they're a little bit older I usually use the gravid spot if I can see it, but the anal fin is the dead give away.

My guppy fry are about 3-4 weeks old. They're definately NOT pregnant, but the females already have the gravid spot. I like to keep my males and females separate until I'm ready to breed them and the first way to be able to tell the difference is that the females develop the gravid spot. It takes a while longer for the males to get their anal fin.

I'm not sure about mollies, but that's how it is with my guppies.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
I agree, this is definitly NOT just her insides, there are 2 fry and only 1 has this. As mentioned, it takes a bit longer to be able to tell by the anal fin, but once there a couple months old, that's the dead giveaway.