Welcome to MyFishTank.Net!

Have A Question? Join our awesome community today and it's free!

Good algae eater?

Discussion in 'FreshWater Beginner Information/Questions' started by notnormalgirl, Jun 22, 2008.

1. notnormalgirl

notnormalgirl Small Fish

So at my LFS I requested an algae eater and she suggested 2 Chinise algae eaters. Got them home and started researching them...I know i should have done that first I admit. So far they are behaveing themselves, i'm keeping an eye on them. They are still pretty young.
    So my question is what really is a good algae eater? Any recomendations? I have Gouramis and Platies.

2. Kissyboots

Kissyboots Superstar Fish

Bring them back.

I had one and he started chasing my swordtails (similar to platies.)
    I'd suggest getting a couple otoclinus'. They are cute, small, and don't bother anyone. I keep two of them with my puffer and he leaves them alone. They kinda "blend in." :)
    How large is your tank? And how many of each fish are in there?

3. epond83

epond83 Large Fish

Also Siamese Algea eaters are suppose to be good if you find them, and find ones that really are Siamese Algea eaters (i've heard they can be labeled wrong)

I just found two at my LFS i talked them into selling me one the other day cause it was in his plant tank so they kinda weren't for sale but i'm in there a lot so he hooked me up. Seems to be a hard working little guy, between him and the oto they should get some stuff done.

4. exhumed07

exhumed07 Superstar Fish

I've always been fond of the bushy nose pleco. they eat any algea and are pretty tame as well as hardy. I have 1 in my 55 gallon cichilid tank and been there for almost 2 years and still going strong.

5. nrstype

nrstype Medium Fish

Get rid of the Chinese algae eaters, they will eventually develop a taste for the slime coat on your fish, and will harm them eventually.

I'm in agreement with Kissyboots all the way. Oto's are great for algae on plants and stuff, IF.. you have any algae problems, if you don't, get the SMALL BNP like exhumed07 suggested.

6. roark fishies

roark fishies Large Fish

Never had them but from what I hear Chinsese Algae eaters can be real terrors as they get older.

7. Stykman

Stykman Medium Fish

That's the most accurate statement you will hear from now until after the Presidential Election*laughingc

8. Cichlid-Man

Cichlid-Man MFT Staff

Two best in the world.

[​IMG]

9. TabMorte

TabMorte Superstar Fish

What size tank is it going into. I usually recommend ottos. At least 4 of them or a bristlenose pleco.

Also a good algae scrubber will do wonders.

10. sphenta

sphenta Large Fish

You need at least 2 because one would be lonily. I read some where one per 10 gallons of water is a good rule. Feed them well also and if the live past a month, you are doing good.

11. nrstype

nrstype Medium Fish

*BOUNCINGS You got that right! *celebrate

12. ts808

ts808 Small Fish

I'm in agreement....get rid of the Chinese algae eaters!

I went in to PetSmart and saw these fish called "algae eaters" and wasn't aware that they were Chinese algae eaters. At first, everything was fine, then all of a sudden I began losing fish at the rate of at least two every week for about 6 weeks. Then I'd replace the fish I lost, and find them dead.

I went crazy trying to figure out the source, testing my water, doing water changes, etc....I posted on here and found out that the algae eaters, once they get older, quit eating algae and will kill other fish. I lost count of the number of guppies and platies that they killed over those six weeks.

I took the Chinese algae eaters back to PetSmart, and got 3 Otos instead about 2 weeks ago (I also isolated my Chinese algae eaters for a week).

I haven't had a dead fish now in 3 weeks.

13. Rayneuki

Rayneuki Large Fish

Otos are ADORABLE. Get a couple of them. I love my little Oto, he tends to walk up the wall of the tank with his sucker... it's funny stuff.

14. FishGeek

FishGeek Elite Fish

That is one true statement. Ottos are great and the best algae eaters out there and really fun if you have a group of them but no matter what you have in there you are still going to have to clean the tank yourself.

Want To Reply or Ask A Question?
Join our forum today (it's free!) in one easy step! Click Here To Join!