gold fish at the bottom have a tendency to stay in one corner

Jul 22, 2006
Currently, my 55 has a 305 Fluval and AquaTech 20/40. I am going to replace the AquaTech 20/40 with an Emperor 280. I dont know if I'll have enough room for an Emperor 400, so I'll have to measure.

I have alot of airstone lengths to create alot of surface agitation and it does. Also, I like the look of it and so does the two Goldfish.

As for the possible dwarf Goldfish, I've seen them from time to time. Something about pear or whatever.

Thunder

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
China Dolls are supposedly small goldfish -- I've never seen them personally and one of my lfs has had them come in twice in rough shape only to die shortly afterwards.

By and large, most fancy goldfish will attain at least 8" if provided with good conditions -- comets/shubunkins will easily reach at least a foot, wakin, typically a wee bit less.

jd_energy

Large Fish
Aug 1, 2003
Washington State
Visit site
well i don't know about anyone else, but i would not keep 1 goldfish in a 20g tank. That fish would not be happy, and the tank would be very boring imo. It all depends on the size of the fish currently, not how big it will get. Unless you will never get a bigger tank.

JNevaril

Large Fish
Jul 10, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
it's more about the well-being and health of the fish, not necesarilly if it 'looks cool' or 'would be cool'.......

goldfish (and, as stated above, other cold-water fish) have different requirements than tropical fish....

once again, as stated above...they are notorious mess-makers and require heavy filtration due to their waste production....

lotus posted a link that took you to goldfish advice/care....and all of the information in that thread spells out the requirements to keep this type of fish healthy.....

jd_energy said:
i know how to keep fish healthy, and how to care for them. Ive done it for quite some time. Goldfish are one of the easiest to keep. If i had 7 inches of goldfish in a 10g tank, there would be no health issues or bad water quality.
thats completely true.

if you do a waterchange every other day.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
jd_energy said:
i know how to keep fish healthy, and how to care for them. Ive done it for quite some time. Goldfish are one of the easiest to keep. If i had 7 inches of goldfish in a 10g tank, there would be no health issues or bad water quality.
Do the goldfish a favor and don't try to prove this assertation.....:rolleyes:

Just because you don't like a fact, doesn't mean it isn't true.

Jul 22, 2006
I've never heard of a China Doll Goldfish. I could've sworn that the mini Goldfish that I saw and once had was something to do with 'pear'. I've seen them at *censored*Mart sometimes. I was told that they tend to have bloating problem or something related.

Thunder

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Well, at a store that dispenses plenty of incorrect information about the livestock it sells, who knows what they were selling as "dwarfs" or "minis". The only thing I can think of is pearlscale, a smaller breed than some, perhaps, but still a good sized fish.

Jul 22, 2006
Igor The Cat said:
"good rep fish-based store" ??? that fish-BASED bit seems to dis qualify all of your words...and i highly doubt that any LFS could be as informative as MFT, even the LFSes with MFTers working there...its called time restraint

-Java
I dunno what you're talking about, Java. The most popular fish store in the metro is Aquarium Concept. If anyone from OKC on here will say that too.

I dunno why you would say the store is 'dis-qualify'?

The store is based on fish and related hobby. I do not see clothes, beauty supplies, or games being sold there...

Thunder