gold fish at the bottom have a tendency to stay in one corner

Sep 6, 2006
" i;m having a prolbem with my gold fish staying in one corner of the tank, and there eating , andthey look healthy, but they don,t want to go to the other side of the tank! wondering why! could it be the air bubbles! i would like some advice ty! diane pennsylvannia!

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Could you please provide us with more information?

How old is the tank? Water parameters? How many and what type of fish? How big is the tank? Filtration, chemicals used, new additions? Anything else you think may be helpful?

Sep 6, 2006
MY GOLD FISH,

Seleya said:
Could you please provide us with more information?

How old is the tank? Water parameters? How many and what type of fish? How big is the tank? Filtration, chemicals used, new additions? Anything else you think may be helpful?
SIR,
I BELIEVE I HADE 2 MANY GOLD FISH IN MY TANK, I HADE LIKE 7 I TOOK 5 OUT NOW THEY SEEM 2 B GOOD , SWIMMING AROIND BETTER, "QUESTION " HOW MANY GOLD FISH DO U RECOMMEND FOR A TEN GALLON TANK?? TY DIANE BECKETT!:)

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Cooler water species are overall different than small trops regarding safe stocking rules -- as the temperature goes down, oxygen levels etc change as well. Beyond that, goldfish most definitely require more space -- compared to many regularly kept species, they are fast growing, messy fish. Think of them more along the lines of oscars than guppies for demands.

The 1"/gal. rule (suggestion) really only addresses very small tetras etc, not really any fish which grows beyond ~ 4". It is only the goldfish's hardiness which allows them to live in the conditions many well-meaning people put them in and think it's fine. Surviving and thriving are two entirely different things.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2006
GOLD FISH

jd_energy said:
james is right if they are that big and you don't plan on getting a bigger tank, i figure about an inch a gallon so just judge by that.
HOW ABOUT JD, IF I HAVE 2 GOLDFISH IN A 10 GALLON TANK, HOW,S THAT SOUND BUT THE 1 IS ABOUT 2INCHES AND THE OTHER IS TINY. , DO GOLD FISH GET BIG , YA KNOW I HADE 7 GOLDFISH IN A TEN GALLON TANK, AND THEY WERE ALL STRESSED OUT, ERICTIC IN MOVEMENT, SO THAT COULD HAVE BEEN THE REASON THEY WEREN,T MOVING AROUND THE TANK, SO I TOOK 5 OUT AND NOW I HAVE 2 AND THEY SEEM 2 B DOING FINE!
DIANE BECKETT ( PENNSYLVANIA_

Jul 22, 2006
For many years, I've known that Goldfish need 5 gallons each, until I was brought to MFT, I learned several new things. It was shocking to see that Goldfish need more room, so I've gone with the 20/1st-10/2nd+ rule and I share that info with the customers. Also, I've known for Goldfish to be slow growers, but now people on here are saying Goldfish grows fast.

Many information changes with time and we all learn new things.

Technically, Diane, the 10G is too small for 2 Goldfish. If I'm not mistaken, there is a Goldfish that is very small (dwarf), but I dont remember the name of it. They only reach an inch or two?

There must be more air supply in a Goldfish tank. I have 2 of 18" airstones with one air pump suitable for 30-60 gallons with two lines. Goldfish produces excessive waste and good water circulation is a must. Think of it, do you like going outside for fresh air? The same for Goldfish, needing fresh oxygen in the water.

Plus, more oxygen will be beneifical for the bacterias in the filter.

Thunder

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I don't believe there is a dwarf goldfish, at least not that I have ever heard of or read about.
The way oxygen gets into the water is by surface gas exchange. That means you need good surface agitation, and bubbles in the water don't add oxygen at all. If you like the looks of them, fine, that's what they are for. It's a good idea to provide lots of extra filtration in a goldfish tank, since they produce a lot of waste. As an example, on my 55 I run a filter rated for a 70 gallon and one rated for a 60 gallon-- over double the amount the filters are recommended to be able to handle. It really helps.