Ghost Shrimp... is it pregnant???

Paula

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think that my ghost shrimp (Palaeomonetes)  may be pregnant, but I do not know how to tell for sure ???. It has been in an aquarium with several others of its kind, so its very possible that it got bred, I just dont know how to tell. Any help/suggestions?

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
Ghost shrimp will carry a clutch of eggs under he tail. How to tell if they've been fertilized, or even if they will survive in freshwater, is a little beyond me, but, that should tell you your answer... HTH

May 25, 2007
I went to a petshop and bought a pair of ghost shrimp. 1 was a female and the other a male... I didn't know this for sure but I had heard the females are bigger; and the smaller shrimp kept following the bigger one around...

Anyways 2 days later the female seemed to have a green blob inside her right on top of her stomache... the blob had little black dots on it... it looked like a shrunken down scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

About a week or 2 later... the blob was gone and she had tons of little green eggs under her (mint green as mentioned above) attached to her legs.

I let her sit in an unfilttered 10 gallon tank with live aquatic plants floating in it for 2 weeks... somewhere down the line the green blob appeared again... on 11/5/07 she gave birth to a batch... On 11/6/07 she had green eggs under her again and she is in a diff. tank now.

1 day the heater went up to 84 degrees and so I just unplugged it cuz I couldn't trust it.

Now I have like 6-7 live ones. According to one website there is a breed of ghost shrimp called American Glass Shrimp which can breed in freshwater... I think those may be what mine are because they are also bigger than brackish water ghost shrimp. But perhaps I'm wrong and that's why there's only 6-7 live ones now.

It's almost time for her 2nd batch according to last time so I will move her back w/ her kids and hope she don't eat any.

If you leave live plants in an unfiltered tank they will have plenty of food to eat.

Also purchase a jar of "instant baby brine shrimp" and feed them once a day at least...

I have had my shrimp fry for 2 weeks and they are still in Larvae stage... when the heck will they grow into normal shrimp?

rachel.

New Fish
Feb 6, 2010
ok, i have 3 ghost shrimp (used to be 4 but one got eaten or disappeared) they live in tank w 1 alge eater, 5 tiger barbs, and 4 neons.ive had them for bout a week. the male seems to be doing fine but the 2 females look like their stomach or heart (the pink thing) looks red. it looks like one of them has blood on both sides of the body (on the inside.) idk if the tiger barbs are picking on it or if im cooking them to death w the light. plz plz plz help me!!!