Getting Fish Out of Bag?

Jul 15, 2003
Western New York
I was just reading the thread on Bag Floating Time and I was wondering how all of you get the fish out of the bag without the water....usally when I buy several of the same fish my lfs will put 2-3 fish in the same bag...it can be difficult to get the fish out that way...I have been just putting the net over a bucket and pouring trying to get 1 fish at a time while keeping enough water in the bag for the other fish...is there a better way?

Thx

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I have a small net that I use...just stick the net in the bag and I net as many out as possible at a time! I don't know that theres a good way to do it :(

cadams

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have a small half gallon critter keeper I used to keep a betta in and I put the bag in after it equalizes with the tank's water and then fill to the top with some water from the tank. I cut the bag and let everything spill into each other and then use a net to transfer the fish a few minutes later. I used to dump the bag out into a bucket and catch the fish as they fell out but this seemed really stressful.

420Loach

Superstar Fish
May 26, 2003
Makaha, Hawaii
Visit site
i use a 5 gal bucket, pour the fish into the bucket and get them out one at a time(pour extra tank water in the bucket also). i do hate when my lfs puts more then one type of fish in the bag, thats why i put my fish in like this. i also have a really small net i use for small fish and shrimps, i put the fish bag into a round tupperware container to hold the shape, and cut the top of the bag off, then scoop out the fish. plus i also add stress coat to the water to help out, and once the fish are in the tank, they do great!:D

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I pour the bag into a net over a bucket, and then pick out the fish I want. I of course do this in separate loads if the fish are hard to tell apart from bag to bag.

If your LFS put similar looking fish of different species into the same bag never go back to that LFS again!!!

mfj

Large Fish
Jul 22, 2003
harrisburg nc
Visit site
i put a smooth plastic collander in a bowl, and gently pour the water and fish in the collander/bowl (while over the kitchen sink). i walk over to the tank, lift the collander out of the bowl, and put the collander in the tank and let the fish swim away.