Flowerhorn is not eating

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
Hey guys I have a flowerhorn that will not eat. It ate one flake the first day I got her and since then has not eaten anything. I've had her about 10 days or so. She was over $200 so I will be pissed if she dies.

I also have a large male green terror that chases her pretty often. He does not look like he is doing much damage though. Her fins are still perfect. Its very odd because he chases her and then she just comes back and hangs out right next to him and the process continues.

Anyway, everyone else in the tank is fine. She almost eats but then at the last second decides not to eat. Am I just feeding the wrong food? I have tried flakes, cichlid pellets and boiled chicken.

Do I need to take this fish out and put her in a hospital tank untill she eats again?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
What else is in the tank?

I would say off the top of my head it's a factor of two things. Stress, and food it doesn't like.

Flake food for large fish generally doesn't work out well. I would go for a staple of a quality pellet food, for the flower horn and GT as I'm sure they both would appreciate it.

The GT sounds like it is stressing the FH some. From what you describe it is just chasing the flower horn away from it's own territory. Might not hurt to try to give the flower horn a space of it's own. This may mean rearranging the tank, and letting everyone find new territories.

The Flower Horn will eat once it gets hungry enough. Sounds like it is eating at least a little already, you just aren't seeing it eat. You can also try some frozen food like mysis shrimp and beef heart.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Is this another joke thread? not trying to be rude but this person put up a previous post about having a redtail catfish that he intended on NOT feeding to keep it from growing. So I have some mixed feelings about him now posting about a green terror and a FlowerHorn

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
what is hard to believe about my posts? This is a fish forum...I doubt there are too many people who come here to post fake threads about fish....its fish.

Thanks for the help though

widebody2

Medium Fish
Nov 22, 2008
Here's my tank that I built MYSELF and here is my green terror.

Not sure what the big deal is about limiting a fish's food so that it doesn't grow a foot a year? Sorry if I upset you pal.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
This is a fish forum...I doubt there are too many people who come here to post fake threads about fish....its fish.
You'd be surprised. We do get trolls here believe it or not. So, when somebody comes in and posts an idea that gets a bunch of people upset, some of us become somewhat wary. There really is no need for personal comments, they detract from the purpose we're all here for, don't you think?

Good luck with the FH.