Fish that eat junk off the bottem of the tank

Jan 13, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
Please help me .... Im going to buy a fish that eats the junk off the bottem of the tank but i need to know the name of a good garbage eating fish ... any help would be great im going in about 3 to 4 hours and i dont want the lady at the pet stopre selling me something that is not appropriate

thanks Junglefishy :confused:

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
There are no fish that eat junk or garbage off the bottom of a fish tank. There are fish who are bottom feeders that will eat fresh food that has been missed by surface or midwater feeders. But no fish I know likes to eat garbage, most would prefer to eat fresh stuff.

I would need a bit more information about your tank before I could recommend a bottom feeder for you. While certain catfish may fit the bill, others may not, and you could end up with a predatory catfish that would rather eat your neons than scavange flake.
~~Colesea

Jan 13, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
wel thanks for the info i have about 10 guppies and 3 neons in my tank it is ten gallon tank has 5 live plants and green alge growing on the sides has a fairly low ph i can not seem to get it up being stable but the fish are fine it has been like this for ever and most were born in the tank so they must like it also i have a bubble blower and thats about it .. so it looks like the cat fish is the best for my tank
thanks Junglefishy

geoff

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
There are lots of different types of catfish. You should probably go for a couple of corys of some sort. They don't get very big, and although I don't have any yet, I hear they are quite good at keeping the gravel clean.

Jan 13, 2003
British Columbia
Visit site
ok well it looks like they like my tank so far ... they are moving around pretty fast and eating i think they will blow up soon and the other fish seem to like them they are swimming around checking each other out ... .. so far so good im knocking on my head for wood lol

Junglefishy

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
Good choice,
I would have suggested cories to go with the other fish in your tank.
You might also consider and algea eater like a chinese algea eater or siamese algea eater. Ghost shrimp are cheap and fun and they clean up the bottom too.

cgoodloe

Small Fish
Jan 26, 2003
Fresno, CA
cgoodloe.tripod.com
Fish Types

Corydoras are better than plecostymus (sp?). I have a silvertip shark catfish as well and it gorges on food so the other fish have to fight him to get at food. The tank looks clean every morning even though food has gotten under the rocks.

SLO-Dean

Large Fish
Jan 27, 2003
SLO, CA
Visit site
I wanted a Clown Loach but was advised against it, as they get very large. And wouldn't be good fit with smaller fish.

I like the cories and now, the Otto, I just got one, what a cute little guy and what a good algea eater.
Clean those plant leaves.